ARMS: Per saltire Vert and Gules a Saltire Argent between in chief a Mute Swan rousant proper in base a Tower Argent and in fess two Hammers erect Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on Mount Vert issuant from a Crown Vallary Or a Garb of Wheat proper girt with a Circlet per fess embattled Sable and Argent.

Motto 'MAGNI CONSILIUM PRETII' - Wisdom is of high worth.
Granted 12th March 1968.

highworth rdc arms

The swan, often used as an emblem of rivers, recalls the River Thames in the north. The tower represents the ancient forts of Liddington Castle and Barbury Castle in the south. In the flanks of the shield the engineering and steel industries are symbolized by a background of fiery red and two gold hammers which also recall the "hammerman poet" Alfred Williams.
The crest is derived from that of the Warneford family, identified by a circlet divided, like their shield, by an embattled line into black and white.
The motto refers to the name of the Council, which is also capable of being interpreted as "The Council of Highworth".


ARMS: Barry Or and Vert three Lions rampant Argent on a Chief of the second a Coronet composed of four Ears of Wheat and as many Acorns leaved alternately set upon a Rim Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi double-headed Eagle wings displayed Sable gorged with a Naval Crown Or and holding in each beak a Branch of Palm proper.

Granted 20th November 1959.

salisbury and wilton rdc arms

The gold bars are from the arms of the City of Salisbury and the green bars are from the arms of the Wiltshire County Council. The white lions from the arms of the Earls of Pembroke and Mont­gomery, who are seated at Wilton House, represent Wilton. The crown speci­ally designed for Rural Councils, is composed of wheat-ears and acorns for rural industry and natural beauty.
The double-headed eagle is that of the Earls of Radnor, who are seated at Longford Castle, it can also be seen as a reminder of the supporters of the City of Salisbury's arms. The naval crown and palm branches from the Nelson family arms, who were connected with Trafalgar House, which was given to the family of Lord Nelson by a greatful nation in 1814.
This appropriate civic motto is also of local significance, it figures in a banner carried by the vil­lagers of Wishford on Oak Apple Day at the Grovely Oak ceremony.


ARMS: Quarterly per fesse nebuly Azure and Gules a Pile Argent thereon three Crescents of the second in the first quarter three Castles one and two of the third in the second a Mitre Or in the third and a winged Wheel of the last in the fourth a Chief also of the third thereon a Locomotive Engine proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a dexter Arm embowed proper grasping two Hammers in saltire Or.

Motto 'SALUBRITAS ET INDUSTRIA' - Health and industry.
Granted 23rd September 1901.

swindon bc arms

The Great Western Railway engine 'Lord of the Isles' speaks for itself as alluding to the industry to which Swindon owes its rise. The three silver crescents are a prominint feature in the arms of the Goddard family, who have held the Manor of Swindon since 1560, and indicates the close connection of the Goddard Manor with the Borough of Swindon. The three castles are likewise a prominent feature in the arms of the Vilett family, who for a long period held the Manor upon which a considerable portion of New Swindon was built. The mitre symbolises Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, who after the Norman Conquest was granted the Manor of Swindon by his half-brother, William the Conqueror. The winged wheel denotes motion, or the swiftness of railway travelling. This quarter may be taken to represent modern Swindon.
The hand holding hammers symbolizes mechanical industry, to which modern Swindon owes its position. The hammers are golden to typify the prosperity which results from all well-applied industry.


ARMS: Vert a Castle of three towers between three Crescents Argent a Chief barry wavy of four Azure and Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours Upon a Mount Vert enfiling a Crown Vallary Or a Swan rousant proper gorged with a Collar per f ess embattled Sable and Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Horse Vert crined and unguled Or breathing flames proper gorged with a Collar gemel Argent and resting the exterior forehoof on a Hammer head downwards Or.
BADGE: A Roundel per fess wavy barry wavy of four Azure and Argent and Vert fimbriated and charged with a Tau Cross Or.

Motto 'SALUBRITAS ET INDUSTRIA' - Health and industry.
Granted 3rd December 1975.

The Borough of Thamesdown was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Swindon and the Highworth Rural District. It was abolished on 1st April 1997, when a new unitary authority, which reverted to the name Swindon, was created to cover its area.

thamesdown bc arms
thamesdown badge

The background of the shield symbolizes the name Thamesdown, with the green of the downs and countryside surrounding Swindon and Highworth. The four waves of blue and silver represent the River Thames in the north of the district. The three-towered castle and three crescents are derived from the arms of the Goddard and Vilett families, manorial owners in Swindon. In the former Borough of Swindon arms the three crescents were shown in the reverse of their actual colouring to appear red on silver, whereas in the Goddard arms they are silver on red. The Viletts were represented in the Swindon Arms by three castles of two towers each. One of these castles is shown in the Thamesdown arms, with an extra tower - that from the base of the Highworth RDCarms - representing ancient strongholds in the area.
The crest is a further symbolisation of Thamesdown, based on the crest and shield of the Highworth RDC. The stockaded crown on a hill indicates the "high north" (settlement); the hill stands for the downs, and the swan, as in the Highworth arms, for the River Thames. The swan's collar with the black and silver circlet is from Highworth's crest, derived from the arms of the Warneford family.
The railway is suggested by the "iron horses" breathing fire, with double lines for collars (reminiscent of a railway track). The iron horses are green with gold manes and hooves - the liveries of the former Great Western Railway. They each rest a hoof on a gold hammer, from the Swindon crest and the Highworth shield, representing engineering and other industries.
The motto is that of the former Borough of Swindon and was considered to be suitable for Thamesdown, emphasizing, as it does, the health situation of the whole district in its pleasant setting and the busy and varied activities of both Swindon and Highworth.

back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page