ALCESTER RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules two Roman Swords in saltire proper hilts and pommels Or over all a Cross engrailed of the last on a Chief Azure three Mitres Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Wreath of Oak proper fructed Or a demi-Bull Gules armed and unguled Gold holding between the legs an Escutcheon Azure charged with three Needles points downward in fess Argent.

Motto 'DIRIGERE NON DOMINARI' - To direct but not to dominate.
Granted 16th March 1955.

Incorporated into the District of Stratford in 1974.

alcester rdc arms

The basic colours of red and gold, are those of the Beauchamp family, who were Lords of Alcester from about 1270 until 1503, and by whom the town's charters were obtained. These colours are the same as those of the arms of the Marquess of Hertford, the present Lord of the Manor of Alcester, whose seat, Ragley Hall, is near Alcester, and whose family arms of Seymour are also predominantly red and gold. The gold engrailed cross comes from the arms of Fulke Greville, who married the eventual heiress of the last Beauchamp Lord of Alcester. Their tomb, with fine painted alabaster effigies, is in Alcester parish church. The two Roman swords commemorate the importance of Alcester in the Romam period. Alcester stood on Rykneild or Icknield Street, which traverses the area of the present Rural District on its way from Bourton-on-the-Water to Lectocetum near Lichfield, and also on the ancient pre-Roman track, the Lower Salt Way, which went from Droitwich through Alcester to Stratford-upon-Avon. Many relics of Roman times have also been found in the District. The three silver mitres on a blue are taken from the arms of and represent Evesham Abbey. A Benedictine abbey was founded at Alcester in 1138, and this later became a priory attached to the powerful abbey of Evesham. At the Dissolution the buildings came into the hands of Fulke Greville, who used some of the stone to enlarge his manor-house, Beauchamp's Court.
The red bull with gold horns and hoofs represents the agricultural nature of the district and commemorates the cattle market at Alcester, for the holding of which Sir Walter de Beauchamp, brother of William Earl of Warwick, and first of his family to hold Alcester, obtained a charter from King Henry III. The bull holds a blue shield charged with three silver needles, derived from the arms of the Worshipful Company of Needlemakers. Needle making is one of a number of small industries formerly associated with Alcester, and is first recorded in the town in 1678. The wreath of oak leaves with golden acorns represents the well-wooded character of the Alcester Rural District, and acting also as a reminder that in the reign of Henry II the Royal Forest of Feckenham, stretched from Worcester as far as Alcester.


BEDWORTH URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert three Ribands in pall reversed tied with a triple Bow and on a Chief Argent a Bee volent proper between two Lozenges Sable enflamed proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules issuant from a Mural Crown Gules thereon an Escallop Or a demi-Hind proper supporting with the dexter hoof an Arrow point downwards Or.
BADGE: A Torse Argent and Gules surmounted by a triangular Plate Vert charged with a Bee volent proper.

Motto 'UNITED TO SERVE'.
Granted 1971-74?.

Incorporated into the Borough of Nuneaton and Bedworth in 1974.

bedworth udc arms

The green background represents the considerable area of rural land and amenities still left in the district. The triple-knotted ribbon suggests the union of the three parishes in terms of a distinctive local industry and the road pattern in the centre of the area. The lozenges and flames indicate the coal-mines and foundries, while the bee, for Bedworth, represents an industrious community in general.
The crest indicates the union of Exhall parish (the hind and arrow of St. Giles) and of Bulkington parish (the scallop shell of St. James) with Bedworth. The mural crown symbolising the whole district. The liveries of the wreath and decorative mantling are red and white, the colours of Warwickshire County Council and the Chamberlaine family.
The Bedworth bee from the shield is placed on a green triangle suggesting the tripartite area, against a circular wreath of the livery colours.


NUNEATON BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron Argent and barry wavy of six Azure and of the first in chief two Lozenges Sable on a Chief Gules a Cinquefoil Ermine between two Fleurs-de-Lys Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours between two Lozenges a Bear's Gamb reased Sable enfiled by a Mural Crown Or and holding a Cinquefoil slipped Ermine.

Motto 'PRÊT D'ACCOMPLIR' - Ready to achieve.
Granted 21st April 1932.

Incorporated into the Borough of Nuneaton and Bedworth in 1974.

nuneaton bc arms

The blue and white waves, refer to the ancient name of the town 'Etone', town by the running water, in allusion to its position on the banks of the River Anker. The black lozenges refer to the coal industry. The ermine cinqufoil is from the arms of Robert de Beaumont, Earl of Leicester, who in the reign of King Stephen endowed the Priory of Nuns whence the town derived the first part of its name. The priory was dedicated to the Virgin Mary, to whom the fleurs-de-lys allude.
The bear's arm links to the arms of the Warwickshire County Council and the mural crown is a common civic symbol.
The motto is appropriate to a progressive town, but is historically that of the Aston family, former landowners of much of the Borough.


RUGBY BOROUGH COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Per chevron engrailed Azure and Or in chief a Bezant charged with a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper between two Griffins' Heads erased of the second and in base a Bear erect Sable collared an supporting a ragged Staff of the third.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Thunderbolt Or the flames proper between two Lions' Gambs erased Gold each holding a Date Branch fructed also proper.

Motto 'FLOREAT RUGBEIA'-May Rugby flourish.
Granted 27th September 1932.

Incorporated into the Borough of Rugby in 1974.

rugby bc arms

The arms and crest are largely based upon the arms used the Rugby School, being those granted to its founder, Lawrence Sheriff in 1559. He was a wealthy grocer in the time of Elizabeth I and a native of the town. The arms also incorporate the bear and ragged staff of Warwickshire County Council.
The thunderbolt, in modern heraldry the symbol of electricity, stands for the great firms of the electrical industry which are centred in Rugby, and may also be taken as a reminder of the Government wireless station.


SOLIHULL COUNTY BOROUGH DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent within two Barrulets between in chief as many pierced Mullets and in base a Saxon Crown Gules a Greyhound courant Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from the Battlements of a Tower a Mount thereon an Oak Tree eradicated proper fructed Or in front thereof also issuant two Sickles the hafts in saltire and blades outwards also proper.

Motto 'URBS IN RURE' - The town in the countryside.
Granted 10th September 1948.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Solihull in 1974.

solihull cbc arms

The two pierced mullets are derived from the arms of the Odingsell family, who held the Manor of Ulverley in the 13th century. The two barrulets are from the arms of Sir George Throckmorton or Throgmorton of Coughton Court, who purchased the Manor from the Crown in 1528. The red crown alludes to the rather slender association of the Saxon kings with the Manor, for at the time of the Domesday Survey Ulverley was held by Cristina, sister of Edgar Atheling, king of the English for the brief period between Harold's death at Hastings and William's entry into London. The manors of Ulverley and Longdon were joined to form the parish of Solihull in the 13th century. The greyhound commemorates the Greswold family of Malvern Hall, who were for many generations during the 18th and 19th centuries the most influential family in Solihull.
The oak tree indicates that the district was formerly part of the Forest of Arden, and the tower and sickles show that while it includes considerable residential areas parts of it are still mainly agricultural. This theme is also the significance of the motto.


SOUTHAM RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules a Chevron between in chief two Escallops and in base a Cross cercelé Argent on a Bordure also Argent eight Cross crosslets of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Mural Crown Gules masoned Argent therein a Circlet of Wheatears Or a Mount Vert thereon a Lion passant guardant Gold holding in the dexter forepaw a Sword erect embrued proper.

Motto 'SINCERITY'.
Granted 15th July 1959.

Incorporated into the District of Stratford in 1974.

southam rdc arms

The red and silver of the shield are the basic tinctures of the arms of Warwickshire County Council and the See of Coventry within which the Rural District is situated. The silver bordure is adapted from the diocesan arms and the cross-crosslets are derived from the arms of the County Council and ultimately from the arms of the Beauchamps, Earls of Warwick from 1268 to 1449. Coincidentally the four crossed arms on each of the eight cross-crosslets make a total of thirty-two crosses, the number of parishes included in the Rural District. The chevron is derived from the arms of the Shuckburgh family. They have been settled at Shuckburgh and have borne that name since the beginning of the twelfth century, a remarkable record of continuous tenure equalled by few families in England. The family has held a baronetcy since 1660, Sir Charles Shuckburgh, the twelfth baronet, was elected Chairman of Southam RDC in 1964. The unusual cross is taken from the arms of the Verneys, an ancient family long associated with Warwickshire, who in 1696 successfully claimed the barony of Willoughby de Broke that had fallen into abeyance in 1522. The present Lord Willoughby de Brooke, H.M. Lord Lieutenant for Warwickshire from 1939 to 1967, is the twentieth holder of the title, and lives at Kineton. The escallops are from the arms of the Holbech family, who can be traced in Warwickshire without a break since 1483, and they acquired Farnborough in 1683. In 1960, upon the death of Ronald Holbech in 1956, Farnborough Hall and estate were transferred to The National Trust. The escallops also commemorate the Spencer Family of Wormleighton Hall, who unlike the Shuckburghs, Verneys and Holbechs, vanished from the local scene after the mansion of Wormleighton was destroyed as a result of the Civil War. The escallop is also the emblem of St. James the Great, to whom the parish church of Southam is dedicated. The escallops therefore allude not only to the Holbech and Spencer families, but also to the name-parish and headquarters of the authority.
The mural crown as well as a symbol of municipal authority represents the important brick, tile and cement works in the district and the circlet of ears of wheat alludes to the agricultural nature of the area. The lion of England standing upon a hill and brandishing a bloody sword refers to the Battle of Edgehill, which took place during the early stages of the English Civil War between King and Parliament, on 23rd October 1642 .


SUTTON COLDFIELD BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Cross Sable a Stag's Head couped between four Doves of the field in the first quarter a Mitre proper on a Chief Vert two Stags courant Or.
CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown Or a demi Stag proper supporting between the legs two Keys wards upwards and outwards in saltire Gold and a Sword erect proper banded with a Riband Gules; Mantled Gules doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Greyhound Or gorged with a Mural Crown Gules and on the sinister side a Dragon Gules gorged with a like Crown Or pendent from each by a Chain Gold an Escutcheon Argent thereon a Rose Gules charged with another Argent barbed and seeded proper.

Granted 15th May 1935.

Incorporated into the City of Birmingham in 1974.

sutton coldfield bc arms

The arms are based on those of Bishop Vesey, a benefactor to the town. The shield also contains his mitre and the stags refer to Sutton Park.
The mural crown represents civic authority and the keys and sword, for SS Peter and Paul, as from the See of Exeter.
The greyhound and dragon are the supporters of the Tudors, duly differenced, in allusion to the town's charter from Henry VIII.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page