BEDLINGTONSHIRE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Cross formy quadrate between four Lozenges Sable on a Chief Azure a Long-Ship bows on proper the sail set also Argent charged with a like Cross pennon flying Gules between two Lions rampant respectant also proper each holding in the interior paw as many Lightning Flashes in saltire Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Bedlington Terrier proper the forepaws on a Coal Tub loaded Sable.

Motto 'DE PROFUNDIS' - From the depths.
Granted 1st June 1962.

bedlingtonshire udc arms

The Cross of St Cuthbert refers to the fact tha Bedlingtonshire was anciently an exclave of County Durham after Bedlington and the hamlets belonging to it were bought by Cutheard, bishop of Durham, between 900 and 915, and although locally situated in Northumberland, it became part of the County Palatine of Durham, over which Bishop Walcher was granted royal rights by William the Conqueror. The parish church is also dedicated to St Cuthbert. It is reputed that the church takes its dedication from an event that occurred December 12, 1069: fleeing northwards from the Conqueror's army, the monks of Durham are said to have rested the body of St Cuthbert in Bedlington Church. The black diamonds and the coal tub refer to coal mining refering to one of the areas main industries.
The Bedlington Terrier is a breed of small dog named after Bedlington and was originally bred to hunt vermin in mines.


BLYTH BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fesse Gules and Azure on a Fesse Argent between in chief an Ancient Crown Or and in base a Lymphad proper flags flying to the dexter Gules three Ermine Spots Sable.
CREST: Issuant out of a Mural Crown Sable charged with three Miner's Picks shafts upwards Or a demi Lion Gold holding in the dexter paw a Miner's Lamp proper.

Motto 'WE GROW BY INDUSTRY'.
Granted 24th January 1923.

blyth bc arms

The crown is taken from the ancient arms used by the Priory of Tynemouth mentioned in local history in the fifteenth century. The ermine of the fess is taken from the arms of the De La Val family, who were largely responsible for the development of coal-mining in the area which ultimately developed the port and led to increased prosperity. A record of such name is found in local history in the year 1208. The ship is symbolical of the ship-building industry and the importance of the Port of Blyth.
The mural crown is a common symbol of civic government and the lion was included as a national emblem. The lamp and miner's picks symbolise the coal-mining industry which at one time was thriving in the area.


WALLSEND BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Sable Gutté-d'Or in base an Embattled Wall thereon an Eagle displayed Or.

Motto 'SITU EXORITUR SEGEDUNI' - Arose on the site of Segedunum.
Granted 8th October 1902.

wallsend bc arms

The eagle is that of Rome, standing on a representation of the Hadrian's Wall, the border of the Roman Empire in the second century AD. The black field and the golden drops stand for the coal and copper-smelting industries.
The motto tells that Wallsend arose on the site of the Roman settlement of Segedunum.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page