ARMS: Or a Lion rampant Gules holding in the dexter paw a Cross crosslet fitchée Azure on a Chief Vert between two Towers a Pale Argent theron a dexter Hand appaumée also Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Figure representing St. Patrick in a habit Vert trimmed with Gold the nuimbus Or holding in the dexter hand a Slip of Shamrock and supporting over the sinister shoulder a Shepherd's crook proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Wolf Gules that on the dexter holding in the mouth a Slip of Flax flowered that on the sinister a Wheat Ear both stalked and leaved proper; the whole on a Compartment of Basaltic Rock proper [representing the Giant's Causeway].

Motto 'PER ANGUSTA AD AUGUSTA' - Through hard times to prosperity.
Granted 28th March 1952.

Picture from Wikipedia. Information from Heraldry of the World and Briggs.

antrim cc arms

No further information currently available.


ARMS: Quarterly Argent and Or in the first quarter a dexter Hand appaumy Gules in the second and third a Cogwheel Azure and in the fourth an Eagle displayed Gules on a Chief Vert a Rural Crown Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from the Battlements of a Tower Argent masoned Sable a demi Irish Elk proper supporting between the legs a Ceremonial Mace Or.

Granted 5th October 1966.

castlereagh rdc arms

The red hand of Ulster is taken from the O'Neill arms and records the early history of Castlereagh and the cogwheels represent modern industrial development in the district. The rural crown consists of ears of wheat and sprigs of oak, refering to agriculture and the countryside.
The battlements recall Caisleán Riabhach or "grey castle" that gives its name to the area was built about 1350 by Aodh Flann O'Neill. The castle and land was abandoned by the O'Neills in 1618 and the castle no longer exists. The Irish Elk is a supporter of the arms of both Down County Council and Northern Ireland.


ARMS: Or a Castle proper in chief a dexter Hand Gules on a Chief Sable a Shuttle fessewise of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Sable a dexter Hand grasping a Stalk of Flax flowered and leaved proper.

Granted 6th August 1951.

dungannon udc arms

No further information currently available.


ARMS: Quarterly Gules and Azure a Cross Argent charged with another Cross of the first between in the first and fourth quarters a Castle with portcullis raised of the third flying therefrom a Banner of St. George in the second quarter an open Book proper garnished Or and in the third quarter three Bridges of as many arches in pale of the last.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours perched upon an Anchor fessewise Sable an Eagle wings displayed Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Private of the 27th (or Inniskilling) Regiment of Foot and on the sinister side an Officer of the 6th (or Inniskilling) Regiment of Dragoons each in the uniform of the period 1815.

Motto 'UT PROAVI IN DEO CONFIDEMUS' - Like our ancestors in God we trust.
Granted 12th May 1950.

Image thanks to Gerry Stevens.

enniskillen bc arms

No further information currently available.


ARMS: Vert on a Fess Argent between in chief a Wood Pigeon and in base a Mallard Drake the Heads of a Hereford and a Friesian Cow couped and respectant all proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a representation of the Round Tower of Devenish proper.

Granted 15th November 1966.

Image thanks to Gerry Stevens.

enniskillen rdc arms

No further information currently available.


ARMS: Barry wavy Argent and Azure two Flaunches Vert over all a representation of the Watergate at Enniskillen Or flying from the battlements to the dexter a Banner of St. Patrick.
CREST: Out of a Coronet of four Shamrocks set upon a Rim Or a Mount Vert thereon a Horse passant Argent caparisoned Gule, thereon a Knight in full Armour in the dexter hand a Sword erect proper [hilt and pomel Or].
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Brock proper charged on the shoulder with a Bezant thereon a dexter Hand couped Gules.

Motto 'FEOR MAGH EANAGH' - Country of the Lakes.
Granted 20th August 1954.

Image thanks to Gerry Stevens. Information from Heraldry of the World and Briggs.

fermanagh cc arms

The fortification is Enniskillen Castle which was originally built in the 17th century by the Maguires, who were the ancient Irish chiefs of Fermanagh. The flag flying over the castle is St. Patrick’s Saltire which along with the red hand represent Ulster and Northern Ireland. The blue and white wavy lines represent Upper and Lower Lough Erne respectively, as well as the many other lakes found in Fermanagh, which have given rise to the nickname “Lakeland County”.
The shamrocks of the crown refer to Ireland and green mount symbolises the fields and forests and combined with white are the county colours. The knight on horseback further represents the Maguires, who also have given the county another nickname: “Maguire County.”
The badgers or brocks refer to the Brookes who have owned lands in Fermanagh since Elizabethan times. The gold roundels represent the Coles who were the Earls of Enniskillen and the red hand, mentioned above, stands for the O’Neills who were a dominant family in the area.
The motto, which in Irish means “Country of the Lakes”.


ARMS: Tierced in pairle reversed wavy Gules Vert and Azure divided Argent in chief a Hhuttle erect and an Ear of Wheat erect and in base issuant from a Mount a representation of the Round Tower of Drumbo Or charged with a sinister Hand appaumée couped Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure a demi figure representing one of the Old Guard of Hillsborough Castle proper.

Motto 'EX FIDE FORTIS' - From faith comes strength.
Granted 20th April 1964.

hillsborough rdc arms

No further information currently available.


ARMS: Per chevron Gules and Or in chief a Flax Flower proper between two Garbs of the second in base a dexter Hand appaumée couped at the wrist of the first; the shield ensigned with a Mural Crown Gold.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Sea Dragon Argent each charged on the wing with a Cross Gules and wreathed about the neck with a Garland of Oak stalked and leaved and fructed proper.

Motto 'AUXILIUM A DOMINO' - Help comes from the Lord.
Granted 1st February 1951.

londonderry cc arms

The flower is representative of the many flax fields found throughout the area and the sheaves allude to the plentifulness of the County's land. The red hand of Ulster, indicates that the county is part of Ulster and Northern Ireland and the mural crown is a common symbol of civic government.
The dragons with red crosses on the wings are derived from the supporters of the City of London. These have been difference by adding fish-tails for the County's maritime interests. The wreaths of oak, refers to the derivation of the place name Derry, an anglicisation of the old Irish Daire (Modern Irish Doire), meaning "oak-grove" or "oak-wood".


ARMS: Per pale Or and Argent eight Martlets three two three Sable a Bordure charged with five Escallops of the first and as many Mullets of the second alterately.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Greyhound statant Or semée of Flax Flowers stalked and leaved proper and collared Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Unicorn Argent charged on the shoulder with a Stalk of Flax flowered and leaved proper.

Granted 7th December 1951.

lurgan bc arms

The division of the shield into gold and silver, the black martlets, the silver mullets and gold scallops are all taken from the arms of the Brownlow family, Barons of Lurgan. The town had previously used since 1868, when adopted by the Town Commissioners, the arms of the Barons, joined to arms of their own invention.
The greyhound, with the colours of the hound and collar reversed, come from the crest of the Brownlows. It can also be seen as representing Master McGrath, a famous greyhound and winner of the Waterloo Cup on three occasions, and was the first greyhound to do so. He became such a celebrity that his owner, the 2nd Baron Lurgan, was asked to take him to be seen by Queen Victoria.
The flax sprigs are for difference and refer to the locally important industry. I have been unable to find out the significance of the unicorns.


ARMS: Vert a Pale wavy Argent thereon a Pallet wavy Azure surmounted of a Castle triple-towered Argent on a Chief dancetty Or between a Trefoil and a Harp Vert a dexter Hand appaumé couped at the wrist Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours between six Bulrushes three and three leaved and fructed Or a Boar passant paly of six Argent and Azure armed and unguled Gules.

Motto 'PROGRESSUS EX INTEGRITATE' - Progress with integnty or Progress arising from integrity.
Granted 1st September 1965.

Picture and information from Heraldry of the World and Briggs.

newcastle udc arms

The three-towered castle represents the ancient stronghold, built by Felix Magennis of the Magennis clan in 1588, which once stood almost on the exact site of the present Annesley Mansions. The blue wavy pale alludes to the Shimna River, at the mouth of which stood the castle. The tooth-like edge of the gold chief represents the peaks of the Mourne Mountains and its colour represents the golden sandy beach. On this is placed the Red Hand of Ulster, and a shamrock and harp for Ireland (the harp also has some connotation with Percy French, author of the song 'Where the Mountains of Mourne Sweep down to the Sea').
The boar is taken from the arms of the Maginess family, the ancient landlords of Iveagh. On each side of the boar are three bulrushes, these refer further to the Shimna, which means "river of the bulrushes".


ARMS: Or on a Bend wavy Gules a Maltese Cross between two Towers Argent.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Argent a Phoenix proper charged on the breast with a Mullet of six points also Argent.

Motto 'SEPTEM IN UNO SURGENT' - Seven shall rise as one.
Granted 10th June 1958.

Information from Heraldry of the World and Briggs.

newtownabbey udc arms

The main colours of the shield, silver, red and gold, are drawn from the arms of great families of de Courcey, O'Neill and de Burgh respectively, who are associated with the area. The division of the shield into three parts recalls the original three Parishes in the area: Shankill, Carnmoney and Templepatrick. The wavy red bend also refers to the two rivers Ballylinny and Glas-na-Cradon passing through the town. The Maltese Cross is the emblem of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem, who were associated with the Abbey, and the two towers represent the two ancient strongholds of Whitehouse and Dunanney.
The mantling is gold and red, these being the two main tinctures of the shield. These also recall the main tinctures on the shield of arms of Sir Edward Chichester, the 1st Viscount Chichester, who held large grants of land in the area. The phoenix represents Newtownabbey arising from the merging of seven villages in 1958: Carnmoney, Glengormley, Jordanstown, Monkstown, Whiteabbey, Whitehouse and Whitewell. The six-pointed star is a reference to the fact that six counties (Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry and Tyrone) form the United Kingdom province of Northern Ireland. This star appears on the shield of arms of the province.
The motto recalls the seven villages that went to make up Newtownabbey and the idea of re-appearance in another form.


ARMS: Argent on a Fesse wavy Azure between three Lions rampant per fesse Gules and of the second a Spinning Wheel Or between two Roses of the first barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown a Griffin's Head between two Wings Or the neck gorged with a Collar Lozengy Gules; Mantled Azure doubled Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side an Heraldic Antelope Or armed tufted and unguled Argent and on the sinister side a Griffin also Or each gorged with a Collar Lozengy Gules.

Motto 'DISPONENDO ME NON MUTANDO ME'- You may displace me, but you cannot change me.
Granted 10th December 1956.

Information and image thanks to Gerry Stevens.

portadown bc arms

The background of the shield contains the arms of the Obyns family who were associated in the establishment of Portadown in the early 17th century. These have been differenced by the inclusion of a wavy blue fesse to reprsent the Biver Bann which runs through the town, and also included is a spinning wheel (denoting the former staple industry of the town) and also two roses which indicate the town's prominent place in modern rose culture. The town has several nurseries, the foremost of which are Messrs, McGredy, whose roses are known the world over.
Formerly, the town had used the arms of the Duke of Manchester, the ground landlord of many holdings in Portadown and district, and who up to recent times had a Castle at nearby Tandragee.
The crest and supporters were retained, but are differenced by the insertion thereon of the three-of-diamonds motif, taken from the Duke's arms. Legend has it that the Estate was once wagered on the turn of a card. Instead of the former ducal crown, a mural crown now appears. The Duke of Manchester's motto is, by the present Duke's permission, retained, as being considered typical of the spirit of the people of Portadown!


ARMS: Per fesse indented Sable and Argent in chief a Mullet of eight points of the second charged with a Fleur-de-Lys of the first in base a dexter Hand appaumée Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules on a Mount and in front of a Castle of two towers a Hurst issuant from the Battlements of the Castle a dexter Arm embowed in Armour the hand grasping a Sword in bend sinister all proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion rampant that to the dexter Or gorged with a Ribbon pendent therefrom an Escutcheon Argent charged with a Cross Gules and that to the sinister Gules gorged with a Ribbon Argent pendent therefrom an Escutcheon Azure charged with a Saltire also Argent.

Motto 'CONSILIO ET PRUDENTIA' - By wisdom and prudence.
Granted 24th May 1951.

Information from Heraldry of the World and Briggs.

tyrone cc arms

The black and white division shield refers to the Powers, and the fleur de lys to the Beresfords, two locally important families. The eight-pointed star refers to the eight ancient baronies of Tyrone. The red hand represents the O’Neills who were the dominant Gaelic family in the area, who ruled as the Earls of Tyrone.
The red and white of the wreath and mantling have been the sporting or “county colours” since 1930. The castle represents that at Dungannon, which was the seat of the O'Neills.
The two supporters are an English and Scottish lion, with a shield of St. George and St. Andrew respectively, to represent the origins of the settlers during the Plantation of Ulster.

back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page