DAVENTRY RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert on a Pale Or another Gules charged with a Roman Sword erect proper hilt and pommel Gold on a Chief Argent three Pellets the centre one charged with a Fetterlock of the second the others with a Rose also Argent barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Buck's Head Argent attired and gorged with a Ducal Coronet Or pendent therefrom a Torteau charged with an Escarbuncle Gold.

Motto 'POWER IN TRUST'.
Granted 20th June 1955.

daventry rdc arms

The green field represents the largely rural nature of the district. The Roman sword and mural crown refer to Bannaventa, a Romano-British fortified town, which was situated on the Roman road of Watling Street, which today is the A5 trunk road. The white roses and fetterlock are derived from those on the Northamptonshire CC arms.
The white buck's head with gold antlers appears to come from the crest of the Knightley family of Fawsley Hall, who developed sheep farming. The gold escarbuncle on red is from the arms of the Thornton family of Brockhall and Newnham, who had estates in the area. Since the Civil War, five members of the family have held the position of High Sheriff of Northamptonshire.


KETTERING BOROUGH COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Sable a Pelt Or in chief a Cross Crosslet fitchy of the last between two Fountains each charged with a Martlet of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Circlet of Chain Flames proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Griffin reguardant Or beaked and membered and gorged with a Chain reflexed over the back Azure and on the sinister side a Negro proper habited about the waist with a Cloth and his sinister wrist encircled with a Handcuff pendent therefrom a broken Chain Azure.

Motto 'PROGRESSIO ET CONCORDIA' - Progress and concord.
Granted 26th September 1938.

kettering fbc arms

The pelt represents Kettering's chief industry, the manufacture of boots and shoes. The heraldic fountains refer to the formation of the Baptist Missionary Society at the Mission House at Lower Street in 1792. The martlets are from the arms of the Watson family of Rockingham, who with the Montagus are Lords of the Manor of Kettering.The cross is from the arms of the See of Peterborough.
The crest symbolizes the iron-ore industry.
The Montagu family is further represented by the griffin and the negro with a broken chain recalls the pioneer work of William Knibb in the cause of freeing the slaves. Knibb was born at Kettering in 1803.


WELLINGBOROUGH RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules a Chevron Vair between in chief two Garbs and in base a Bull's Head caboshed Or three Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: Out of a Saxon Crown Or a Mount Vert thereon a representation of the Saxon Tower of the Church at Earls Barton proper

Motto 'TAM CRAS QUAM HODIE' - As much for tomorrow as for today.
Granted 4th August 1954.

wellingborough rdc arms

The wheat sheaves indicate the general agricul­tural background, as well as to the ancillary industries of flour milling and food production. The bull's head refers to one of Northamptonshire's principal activities — the leather industry, represented in this district by tanning and boot and shoe making. The red background of the shield is common to the arms of some of the principal manorial families, the Ishams (Isham), Isteds (Ecton), and Wilmers (Sywell). The blue and white vair chevron is also taken from the Isted and Wilmer arms and on it lie the three golden roses which also appear on a chevron in the arms of the Vaux of Harrowden.
The red and white of the mantling are the livery colours of the County and of several of the district's families, Isteds, Wilmers, Yelvertons, Fitzwilliams and Spencers. The Saxon crown is a reference to many local connections with that period, including the Saxon dictionary of Owen Manning of Orlingbury. The most famous Saxon monument of all, one of the principal land­marks in the county and one of the principal examples of Saxon Architecture in England, the tower of the Church at Earls Barton, completes the crest.
The motto is derived from the Vaux family's motto "Hodie non cras" - Today, not tomorrow.


WELLINGBOROUGH URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Sable on a Chevron between in chief two Leopard's Faces and in base a Garb Or five Fountains.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from Flames proper a demi Bull Sable armed unguled and supporting a Crosier Or pendant from the neck by a Riband Or an Escutcheon Argent charged with a Tudor Rose proper.

Motto 'ASPICE RESPICE' - Look forward, look backward.
Granted 23rd August 1949.

wellingborough udc arms

The black field is a reference to the industrial background of Wellingborough's life. The leopard's faces are from the lions of England and commemorate the frequent associations of the town with the Royal House — the confirmation of the Church to Croyland by William I: the devolution of the Wellingborough lands to the Crown at the dissolution of the monasteries; and the patronage of Welling­borough in 1628 by Charles I for the benefits of the chalybeate springs. The chevron is taken from the Hatton Arms, together with the sheaf, which also represents agriculture. The five heraldic fountains repre­sent the five chief springs of the area, the Red, White, Stan, Bury Moor and Rising Sun Wells or springs.
The flames represent the Great Fire of 1738, and also the furnaces con­nected with the iron smelting industry. The black bull is from the arms of Northamptonshire County Council and refers also to the leather industry. The crosier refers to Croyland Abbey and the Tudor rose to the 16th century charters affecting the town, and also to Wellingborough School in whose arms it appears.
The motto is taken from the inscription over the old school-house of 1620 and expresses the idea of progress directed by past experience.



back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page