DERBYSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Or a Rose Gules surmounted by another Argent both barbed and seeded proper on a Chief Sable three Stags' Heads caboshed of the third.
*CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Or a Dragon wings elevated Sable holding in the dexter claw a Pick Or and collared Argent.
*SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Stag and on the sinister side a Ram both proper each gorged with a Chain Or pendent therefrom a Rose Gules surmounted by another Argent both barbed and seeded proper.

Motto 'BENE CONSULENDO' - By good counsel.
Arms granted 17th September 1937. Crest and supporters granted ?.

derbyshire cc arms

The Tudor rose has been an emblem of the County for many years, having appeared on an unofficial device which preceded the the grant of arms. The stags' heads are from the Cavendish arms of the Duke of Devonshire.
The dragon crest, with metal collar and pick, symbolises the county's foundation by Danes, men of dragon ships, and the county's mining and engineering enterprise. Dragons traditionally amass underground and guard great mineral wealth.
The stag and ram have special significance for Derbyshire. Deer are closely associated with the county, founded by Danish invaders of the ninth century, who named their first fort, Derby, for the wild deer that were so abundant in the area. Sheep were introduced in the New Stone Age. They were the foundation of local farming, and later provided raw materials of early cloth and leather industry on which the county's towns were based. The ram is also the county's regimental mascot.


STAFFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Chevron Gules a Stafford Knot of the first on a Chief Azure a Lion passant guardant of the field.
CREST: Issuant out of a Mural Crown proper a Stafford Knot Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion reguardant Gules crowned with a Ducal Coronet Or and on the sinister side a Gryphon reguardant Or.

Motto 'THE KNOT UNITES'.
Granted 31st January 1931.

staffordshire cc arms

The red chevron on gold is from the arms of the De Stafford family, and the knot is their badge.
The crest combines a mural crown, symbol of civic government, and the Stafford knot.
The supporters are also Stafford badges, they are shown looking backwards, both for difference and as a symbol that they look back into the past.


WARWICKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules a Bear erect Argent muzzled of the first collared and chained Or supporting a ragged Staff of the second the chain reflexed over the back and en­circling the Staff on a Chief of the third three Cross-crosslets of the first; The Shield ensigned with a Mural Crown Gold.

Motto 'NON SANZ DROICT' - Not without right.
Granted 7th July 1931.

warwickshire cc arms

The bear and ragged staff have long been associated with Warwickshire. The origins of these emblems are lost in the distant past, but have been associated with the Earls of Warwick since at least as early as the 14th century. William Dugdale in the 17th century, recalls that the legendary Arthgallus, an Britsh Earl of Warwick and knight of King Arthur's Round Table, thought that his name came from the Welsh "artos" or bear. He also suggested that the ragged staff was chosen because Morvidus, Earl of Warwick, killed a giant with the broken branch of a tree. These claims cannot be supported and Dugdale was just recalling medieval legends. However, there is no doubt that the bear and the ragged staff were first used by the Beauchamp family, who became Earls of Warwick in 1268, as a badge or mark of identity in to addition to their own coat of arms. At first the emblems seem to have been used independently. In 1387 Thomas Beauchamp II (Earl from 1369 to 1402) owned a bed of black material embroidered with a golden bear and silver staff, which is the earliest known occurrence of the two emblems together. The bear and ragged staff have been used by subsequent holders of the Earldom of Warwick, the Dudleys, the Grevilles and are borne as a crest by the present Earl. Over the centuries they have also come to be associated with the county, and used as a badge 1st Warwickshire Militia regiment and the Warwickshire Constabulary and the Warwickshire County Council obtained the permission to adopt the bear and ragged staff for their common seal in 1907. The three cross-crosslets are taken from the arms of the Beauchamps, who were earls of Warwick from 1268 to 1449. They are perhaps the most famous of all the families which have held the earldom of Warwick, and this together with the world-wide fame of the Beauchamp Chapel in St Mary’s Church in Warwick makes the inclusion of their arms in the County’s armorial bearings particularly appropriate.
The motto, in Norman-French, is that of William Shakespeare, without doubt the county’s most famous son.


AMBER VALLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL (DERBYSHIRE)

*ARMS: Vert a Pale wavy Or a Bordure Argent charged with five Horseshoes Sable on a Chief of the second between two Lozenges a Cresset Sable fired proper.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours the Battlements of a Tower proper issuant therefrom between two Abbatical Crosiers Or an Oak Tree proper fructed and ensigned by a Crown of Fleurs-de-Lys Gold.
*SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Unicorn Argent armed and crined Or gorged with a Collar pendent therefrom a Cross flory Gules and on the sinister side a Leopard proper gorged with a Collar Gules pendent therefrom a Fleur-de-Lys Or.

Motto 'PER LABOREM PROGREDIMUR' - We make progress through hard work.
Granted 18th October 1989.

The Borough of Amber Valley was formed by the amalgamation of the Alfreton Urban District, the Belper Urban District, the Heanor Urban District, the Ripley Urban District and the Belper Rural District.

amber valley bc arms

The gold wave on the green background represents the River Amber in its valley within a white border, like the arms of the Ripley UDC, charged with five of the six horseshoes from the arms of the de Ferrers family, founders of Darley Abbey which bore the Ferrers arms and owned much of the present borough area. The two black diamonds and flaming cresset or fire-basket, like those in the arms of Alfreton UDC, indicate the coal and iron mining industries so important in the development of the area.
The tower battlements, like that in the crest of Belper RDC, refers to Codnor and other local castles and strongholds. The oak tree recalls Duffield Forest, with gold acorns an allusion also to the Oakes family prominent in Alfreton's industrial history. The tree is topped by an ancient crown of fleurs-de-lys similar to that of Henry III who often hunted in the 'Frith' Forest and had numerous possessions therein. The two gold abbatial crosiers are for Darley and Beauchief Abbeys. The mantling also refers to Heanor's textile Industry.
The unicorn is derived from the unicorn's head in the crest of Ripley. This in turn is from the crest of the Wright family, used by the Butterley Company of which John Wright was a co-founder in 1790. It wears the red collar from the neck of the popinjays or parrots of the Curzons of Kedleston; hanging from this is a red 'cross flory' from the arms of the Outrams of Butterley, co-founders of the Butterley engineering firm. The leopard is one of the supporters of the arms of the Strutts. Jedediah Strutt was the founder of the textile industry of Belper, from which Edward, his grandson, took his title as the tirst Baron Belper. The leopard also wears the Curzon collar, from which depends a gold fleur-de-lys from the arms of John of Gaunt, used by the former Belper UDC. He had a residence and hunting-lodge at Belper. The fleur-de-lys is also an emblem of St.Mary, patron saint of Crich. The whole stands on a grassy base divided by blue and white waves representing the River Derwent and other rivers in the district.
The motto is one used by the former Heanor UDC.


BIRMINGHAM CITY COUNCIL (UA) (WEST MIDLANDS)

ARMS: Quarterly first and fourth Azure a Bend of five Lozenges conjoined Or second and third per pale indented Or and Gules over all a Cross Ermine thereon a Mitre proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure issuant from a Mural Crown Or charged with a Rose Gules charged with another Argent barbed and seeded proper a dexter Arm embowed the hand holding a Hammer all proper; Mantled Azure doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Female Figure (representing) Art) proper vested Argent wreathed round the temples with Laurel Vert tied by a Riband Gules holding in the sinister hand resting on the Shield a Book bound also Gules and in the dexter a Painter's Palette Or with two Brushes proper and on the sinister side a Man habited as a Smith (representing Industry) holding in the dexter hand resting on the Shield a Cupel and in the sinister a Hammer resting on an Anvil all proper.
BADGE: A Roundel per pale indented Argent and Sable within a Cogwheel Gules between each pair of Cogs a Bezant.

Motto 'FORWARD'
Granted 10th May 1977, to replace those granted on 3rd April 1889 and the supporters granted on 4th April 1889. These previous arms, crest and supporters were re-exemplified 31st August 1936..

The City of Birmingham was extended in 1974 by the inclusion of the Borough of Sutton Coldfield.

birmingham city arms The 1974 Arms
old birmingham city arms The 1889 Arms
birmingham badge
Badge

The arms in the quarters of the shield are two distinct coats used by the de Bermingham family, who held the manor in the 13th century (and perhaps from the time of the Conquest) until 1527, when Edward de Birmingham was deprived of his property by John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, by means of a false charge of riot. The bendwise lozenges appear on the shield of an effigy in the church of St. Martins-in-the-Bull Ring, believed to be William de Bermingham. Later members of the family seemed to have quartered the two coats in one shield, but with the quarters reversed. This order of the coats was used by the City for difference. The 1889 arms orginally had an ermine fess from the arms of the Calthorpe family, Lords of the Manor of Edgbaston. This has now been replaced by the ermine cross and mitre, from the arms of the Borough of Sutton Coldfield. This is a reference to John Harman or Vesey, Bishop of Exeter. He was born in Sutton and obtained my advantages for the Town.
The mural crown, arm and hammer refer to civic government and industry. The Tudor rose alludes to Henry VIII, who granted Sutton Coldfield a Charter in 1528.
The figures (reversed from the former achievement) represent art and industry. The cupel refers to the jewellery quarter and the anvil refers to the tradition of heavy industry.


CANNOCK CHASE DISTRICT COUNCIL (STAFFORDSHIRE)

ARMS: Barry of eight Vert and Sable a Stag's Head caboshed between the attires a Hunting Horn stringed in chief three Stafford Knots in fess Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert out of a Circlet on a Mount Vert in front of an Oak Tree proper fructed Or a Horse passant resting the dexter forehoof on a Cross potent quadrate charged with a Fleur-de-Lys Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side an Heraldic Tiger Sable charged on the shoulder with the Astronomical sign for Mars Or and on the sinister side a Lion Sable charged on the shoulder with a Thunderbolt Or.
BADGE: A Stafford Knot pendent therefrom by the strings a Hunting Horn Or.

Motto 'LABOR IN VENATU' - Work in the Chase.
Granted 3rd December 1975.

The Cannock Chase District was formed by the amalgamation of the Cannock Urban District, the Rugeley Urban District and the Parish of Brindley Heath from the Lichfield Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

cannock chase dc arms

The green and black bars, like those in the arms of the Cannock UDC, indicate the coal seams beneath Cannock Chase, symbolized by the stag's head and hunting horn, both seen in the arms of the Cannock RDC. The three Stafford Knots represent the three communities of Cannock, Hednesford and Rugeley.
The green circlet and the oak tree, as in the crest of Cannock UDC, represents Castle Ring, an Iron Age earthwork, and the Forest. The horse recalls Rugeley's ancient Horse Fair and the red fleur-de-lis ("rouge lys") plays on its name. The cross, from the arms of the Bishoprics of Lichfield and Coventry, alludes to the purchase of the manor of Cannock by the then united See.
The heraldic tiger, bearing the sign of Mars, for iron, is from the heraldry of the Pagets, Marquesses of Anglesey, whose ironworks supplemented the early coalmining industry. The lion is from the arms of the National Coal Board, and bears a thunderbolt referring to the modern electrical and electronic industries.
The previous Cannock motto, taken from Virgil may be translated as "Work in the Chase".


CHESTERFIELD BOROUGH COUNCIL (DERBYSHIRE)

ARMS: Gules a Device representing a Pomegranate Tree as depicted on the ancient Common Seal of the Borough the tree leaved and eradicated proper flowered and fructed Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Mural Crown Gules masoned Or a Mount Vert thereon a Derby Ram passant guardant proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Cock and on the sinister side a Pynot or Magpie proper each ducally crowned Or.

Motto 'ASPIRE'.
Granted 10th November 1955.

chesterfield bc arms

The arms are derived from the design of the Borough's Common Seal, which bears a pomegranate tree decoratively treated. This emblem was in use by Chesterfield in the reign of Elizabeth I, and may have been derived from the pomegranate of Granada which Henry VIII had adopted as a badge on his marriage with Katherine of Aragon. It has however been claimed that the pomegranate was in use by Chesterfield long before Tudor times. For some unknown reason in the 17th century the pomegranate was discarded in favour of arms - Gules on a gold fess a lozenge azure - but the pomegranate was restored to the Seal in 1893.
The mural crown is a common symbol of civic government and the ram links the arms with the County.
The supporters each with a ducal crown commemorate the Revolution plot of 1688 at the Cock and Pynot Inn (now the Revolution House) at Old Whittington and the association of the Earl of Devonshire and other with that plot. The supporters are depicted on a base representing the rocks and moorland around the Town. The motto is both encouraging and refers to the famous "crooked spire" of the Parish Church.


COVENTRY CITY COUNCIL (UA) (WEST MIDLANDS)

ARMS: Per pale Gules and Vert an Elephant statant bearing on his back a Castle triple-towered and domed Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Cat statant guardant proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side an Eagle wings elevated and addorsed Sable langued and legged Gules and on the sinister side a Phoenix wings elevated and addorsed Or langued Gules the Flames proper.

Motto 'CAMERA PRINCIPIS' - The Prince's Chamber.
Arms and crest recorded at the Visitations of 1619 and 1682 (on the latter occasion a banner charged with three ostrich feathers was allowed on the centre tower of the castle). Arms and crest confirmed in above form and supporters granted 10th February 1959.

The City of Coventry was formed by the amalgamation of the former City of Coventry and part of the Meriden Rural District.

coventry city arms

The right to use arms was conferred by Edward III, probably at the time of the incorporation of the City in 1345, but a corporate seal was in use prior to this date. The circular seal also showed the elephant and castle and probably had its origin as a mark for woollens, tammies, and caps exported to the East, for which, prior to this period, Coventry was famous. The elephant as a symbol signifies strength and sagacity, while the castle signifies strength and security. One theory put forward by a local historian is that the elephant had a religious symbolism. The elephant is seen, not only as a beast so strong that he can carry a tower, but also as a symbol of Christ's redemption of the human race. The animal, according to one of the 'Bestiary' stories, is supposed to sleep standing, leaning against a tree. These 'Bestiary' stories also had it that the foe of the elephant was the dragon, who devoured newly-born elephants, the tempter for the foe. The elephant, then, is a dragon slayer and is associated with a tree. In the early seals of Coventry, from which the arms derives, are shown, on one side, the combat between another dragon-slayer, the Archangel Michael, and the dragon. On the other is the elephant and castle. This local historian, Mary Dormer Haris, points out that the tree has been dropped out of the armorial bearings of the city, and it is a tree from which Coventry almost certainly took its name - Cofa's tree. In the medieval mind, the elephant suggested the eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and did not merely symbolise strength. The colours of red and green are the traditional colours of the city dating back at least to 1441.
The cat, which is sometimes described as a cat-o-mountain or wild cat, is generally considered to symbolise vigi­lance.
The Black Eagle is that of Lord Leofric, who on the site of modern Coventry founded a monastery in 1043 with his wife Godgifu, famous in the legend as Lady Godiva. The phoenix arising from the flames represents the new Coventry reborn out of the ashes of the old and its renewal after having been destroyed in the blitz.
The motto probably has reference to the early part of the fourteenth century when Edward, the Black Prince, as Lord of the Manor of Cheylesmore, was closely associated with the City. It is from this Prince that the three feathers are derived which are sometimes shown in conjunction with the civic arms.


DERBY CITY COUNCIL (UA)

ARMS: Argent on a Mount Vert within Park Palings a Buck lodged between two Oak Trees fructed proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Ram passant proper collared Or between two Sprigs of Broom also proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Buck charged on the shoulder with a Sprig of Broom proper.

Motto 'INDUSTRIA VIRTUS ET FORTITUDO' - Diligence, courage and strength.
Granted 12th May 1939.

derby city arms

The stag at rest amid palings, known locally as 'the buck in the park', has been a badge of the City from time immemorial, and may have been derived from the white hart badge of Richard II. The ram and stag are traditionally associated with the County and the broom plant is a badge of the Plantagenet kings from whom Derby received its early charters.


DUDLEY METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (WEST MIDLANDS)

ARMS: Per chevron Or and Gules a Chevron Azure between in chief two Lions rampant per pale Gules and Vert each supporting a Beacon fitted proper and in base a Salamander reguardant fitted proper on the Chevron between two Pieces of Chain each in chevron Or a Roundel barry wavy Argent and Azure between two Pears slipped and leaved Or.
CREST: Upon a Mount Vert rising from a Mural Crown Or charged with a Stafford Knot Azure a representation of Sedgley Beacon Tower proper between two Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper, Mantled Azure doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: To the dexter a Canon of the Premonstratensian Order holding in his exterior hand a closed Book proper and to the sinister an Angel proper winged Argent habited Gules girded and holding in the exterior hand a Mural Crown Or.
BADGE: A Castle triple towered proper suspended by a Chain from the central tower a golden Fleece proper each flanking tower charged with an Escallop Sable.

Motto 'UNITY AND PROGRESS'
Granted 10th June 1975.

The Metropolitan Borough of Dudley was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Dudley, the Borough of Halesowen and the Borough of Stourbridge. In 1966 part of the Urban District of Amblecote, the Urban District of Brierley Hill, the Urban District of Coseley and the Urban District of Sedglely had been added to Dudley. At the same time the remainder of Amblecote was added to Stourbridge.

dudley mbc arms
dudley badge
Badge

The chevron is taken from the arms of the Coseley UDC and resembles the bridge in the arms of the Borough of Stourbridge. The pears are also taken from the Stourbridge arms to represent Worcestershire, and the heraldic fountain in the centre from those of Brierley Hill UDC to represent the ancient fords in the Manor of Kingswinford. The chain is taken from the Stourbridge and Halesowen arms and represents the chain, nail and anchor making industries which were once common throughout the area. The two lions taken from the Borough of Halesowen arms and the salamander is taken from the County Borough of Dudley arms. This is the traditional emblem of the smith and thus symbolises the metal working industry. The fired beacons held by the lions are taken from the arms of Coseley UDC and Brierley Hill UDC, and also allude to local industries.
The mural crown denoted the Distrct's status as a Borough. Sedgely beacon appeared on the device used by the Sedgely UDC as well as in the Coseley crest. The roses refer to the briars once common in the area and from which Brierley Hill derives its name. The Stafford knot refers to Staffordshire, the original county of a large part of the area and appered in several of the former authority's arms.
The Canon, like that of the former supporter of Halesowen, is of the Premonstratensian Order which founded Halesowen Abbey. The angel, like that of the former Dudley supporter, is taken from the arms of the Earls of Dudley.


EAST STAFFORDSHIRE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Chevron barry wavy Argent and Azure fimbriated Gules between three Towers proper on a Chief Azure between two Fleurs-de-Lis Argent a demi-Sun issuant Or charged with a Stafford Knot Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules in front of a Garb Or enfiling a Mural Crown proper a Bugle Horn mouth to the dexter Gules stringed Sable. Mantled Gules lined Argent.
SUPPORTERS: Dexter a Lion Or resting its interior rear foot on a Barrel proper sinister a Deer proper attired and unguled Or resting the interior hoof on a like Barrel.

Motto 'STRENGTH THROUGH UNITY'.
Granted 8th June 1973?.

The Borough of East Staffordshire was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Burton-upon-Trent, the Uttoxeter Urban District, the Tutbury Rural District and the Uttoxeter Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

east staffordshire bcarms

The white and blue waves, from the arms of the County Borough of Burton-upon-Trent, represent the rivers Trent and Dove, and the towers allude to Tutbury. The rising sun depicts the direction "East" and the Staffordshire knot represents the County. The fleurs-de-lys, also from the Burton arms, are from the arms of the Bass family, Barons Burton, and also refer to the dedication of the Abbey to St. Mary.
The wheatsheaf represents the whole rich agricultural area around Uttoxeter, and the mural crown, symbol of civic government, is common to the crests of Burton and the County Council. The hunter's horn symbolises Needwood Forest.
The lion is one of the County Council and England Supporters and the buck denotes the parkland and forest of East Staffordshire. The barrels or tuns are a further reference to Burton, the centre of British brewing.


EREWASH BOROUGH COUNCIL (DERBYSHIRE)

ARMS: Argent three Bends wavy Azure overall between three Astronomical Signs of Mars Or a Chevron Gules thereon a Fleur de Lys also Or on a Chief dovetailed Gules a Garb of Wheat between two Hanks of Cotton Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Or Gules and Azure out of a Mural Crown Or masoned Gules charged with four Annulets Sable and between two Torches issuing Azure enflamed proper a Stag rampant Gules and gorged with Lace proper attired and unguled Gold.
BADGE: A Stag's Head caboshed Gules attired Or in the mouth an Astronomical Sign of Mars Or and between the attires a Rose Gules barbed proper thereon another Argent barbed and seeded also proper.

Motto 'PER SAPIENTIAM CONSTANTIAMQUE VICTORIA' - Triumph through wisdom and endeavour.
Granted 1983.

The Borough of Erewash was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Ilkeston, the Long Eaton Urban District and part of the South East Derbyshire Rural District.

erewash bc arms
erewash badge
Badge

The three wavy blue bands symbolise the three rivers - Trent, Derwent and Erewash. The chevron was common to the arms of Long Eaton UDC and South East Derbyshire RDC and the fleur-de-lys, emblem of St. Mary, recalls St.Mary's Abbey. The signs of Mars, prominent in the arms of the Borough of Ilkeston, represent the iron and steel industry at Stanton Ironworks and the heavy engineering aspects of the Borough. The hanks of yarn symbolise the past and present textile manufacturing trades and the wheatsheaf represents the different parishes in the Borough. The dovetailed edge of the chief symbolises the woodworking and furniture making industries.
The mural crown is a frequent symbol of civic government and the black annulets or rings, from the South East Derbyshire arms, symbolise steel-making and engineering. The torches, like that in the crest of Long Eaton, represents industry and the stag commmon to the arms of both Nottingham and Derby indicates the general geographical location of Erewash. The stag's lace collar, again common to the arms of Ilkeston and Long Eaton, represents the lace-making industry.


HIGH PEAK BOROUGH COUNCIL (DERBYSHIRE)

ARMS: Sable three Piles Or on a Base enarched Vert fimbrated Or a Fountain.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert a Piece of Blue John Stone proper within a Chevron Sable.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Stag Or attired and unguled Sable gorged with a Mural Crown Vert and resting the interior hind leg on a Piece of Blue John Stone proper.
BADGE: A Fountain within a Triangle Sable.

Motto 'CONSILIO SEMPER PUBLICO' - Ever in the public interest.
Granted 1976.

The Borough of High Peak was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Buxton, the Borough of Glossop, the New Mills Urban District, the Whaley Bridge Urban District, the Chapel-en-le-Frith Rural District and the Tintwistle Rural District.

high peak bc arms
high peak badge
Badge

The black points, similar to those in the arms of the Chapel-en-le-Frith RDC, represent the high peaks in the north of the district and the green base symbolises the green lowlands. The heraldic fountain refers to the lakes, reservoirs and natural mineral springs.
The chevron continues the peak motif of the arms, but here it is a single peak at the highest point of the achievement of arms, being a specific reference to the name of the Borough. The piece of Blue John is shown as if in a cave and recalls the mineral, which is a special feature of the district and known worldwide.
The stag or buck is found in the heraldry of the entire district. The stags represent the Cavendish stag, the stag of Downs, Lords of the Manor of Whaley Bridge, the buck seen in the crest of the Borough of Buxton and the stags that once roamed over the whole area.


LICHFIELD DISTRICT COUNCIL (STAFFORDSHIRE)

ARMS: Vert an eagle displayed wings inverted perched on a Stafford knot Or and charged on the breast with three arrows barbs downwards two in saltire and one in pale proper banded gules on a chief Or a pale ermine between two chevrons gules.
CREST: Out of a coronet composed of four ears of wheat and as many acorns leaved set alternately upon a rim Or, a demi stag sable charged on the shoulder with a sun in splendour gold, mantled vert doubled Or.

Motto 'ORA ET LABORA' - Pray and work.
Granted 20th January 1964, to the Lichfield Rural District Council.

The Lichfield District was formed by the amalgamation of the City of Lichfield and the Lichfield Rural District, except the Parish of Brindley Heath now in the Cannock Chase District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

lichfield dc arms

The gold Stafford knot on a green background represents rural Staffordshire. The Roman eagle, also in gold, refers to the important Roman historical associations of the district (e.g. Watling Street, Ryknild Street and Letocetum, which gave its name to Lichfield). The eagle is also common to the arms of the Paget and Biddulph families, and was also the emblem of Leofric, Earl of Mercia, who died at Kings Bromley in 1057. The sheaf of arrows is from the arms of the Peel family of Drayton, to which belonged Sir Robert Peel. The chief is derived from the arms of the Borough of Lichfield, it consists of a panel of ermine between two panels of gold bearing the red chevron of the Staffords, which is the basis of the County Arms and also appears in the arms of the Lane family of Kings Bromley.
The special coronet of ears of wheat and acorns is of a type formerly assigned to Rural District Councils. The black stag alludes to the coalfields in the Cannock Chase area. On its shoulder is the sun, which, as the source of light and power, is common to the arms of the National Coal Board and the Central Electricity Generating Authority.


NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME BOROUGH COUNCIL (STAFFORDSHIRE)

*ARMS: Azure issuant from a base barry wavy of four Argent and of the first charged with three Fishes naiant proper a Mount Vert thereon a Castle of three towers in chief two Stafford Knots Or.
*CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure issuant from a Mount Vert an Oak Tree fructed proper the trunk enfiled by a Stafford Knot Or between two Kids saliant respectant also proper.
*SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion guardant Sable each supporting a Scythe and gorged with a Steel Chain pendent therefrom an open Book proper edged and garnished Or.
*BADGE: A Stafford Knot ensigned with a Castle of three towers Or.

Motto 'CONSTANTIA SCIENTIA PRUDENTIA' - By steadfastness, knowledge and foresight.
Granted 1975.

The Borough of Newcastle-under-Lyme was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Newcastle-under-Lyme, the Kidsgrove Urban District and the Newcastle-under-Lyme Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

newcastle-under-lyme bc arms
new castle under lyme badge
Badge

The castle, waves and fishes are from the arms of the former Borough, and the two Stafford Knots indicate the other two former Staffordshire authorities. The castle and knots are in gold on blue, the colours of the Earldom of Chester, whose banner was seen in the former Borough crest.
The oak tree and kids are derived from the device of the former Kidsgrove UDC, which consisted of kids gambolling in a grove of trees. The gold Stafford knot is a further reference to the County.
The black lions with scythes over their shoulders, which supported the former Newcastle shield, are from the heraldry of the Sneyd family. The scythe or 'sned' (a pun on their name) also appeared in the device of the Newcastle RDC and is a charge in the arms of the University of Keele, which is in the former Rural District. The open books hanging by steel chains about the lions' necks, represent the District's important educational amenities, especially the University of Keele, linked with the engineering industry.
The motto combines 'CONSTANTIA' from the motto of the former Borough, 'PRUNDENTIA' from that of the Rural District Council and 'SCIENTIA' in reference to the University of Keele.


NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or a Miner's Pick Sable surmounted of a Tudor Rose barbed and seeded proper on a Bordeure engrailed also Sable eight Annulets Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert out of a Mural Crown Argent masoned Sable a representation of the crooked spire of Chesterfield Parish Church proper.

Motto 'REGNANT QUI SERVIUNT' - They rule who serve.
Granted 20th September 1954, to the Chesterfield Rural District Council.

The North East Derbyshire District was formed by the amalgamation of the Clay Cross Urban District, the Dronfield Urban District and a majority of the Chesterfield Rural District.

north east derbyshire dc arms

The Tudor rose is derived from the arms of the County Council and the miner's pick and black border represent the mining industry. The gold rings and engrailed edging of the border are from the arms of the former Earls of Scarsdale and recall the ancient Hundred of Scarsdale.
The gold and green of the wreath represent a rural area and its agriculture. The mural crown is a common civic emblem and the crooked spire of Chesterfield Parish Church, refers the Town that gave its name to the Rural District.


NORTH WARWICKSHIRE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules two ragged Staves conjoined in saltire Argent between in chief a Kestrel volant afrontee proper in fess two Garbs and in base a Sun Or charged with a Cogwheel Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a demi Lion per pale Argent and Or gorged with a Collar vairy Or and Gules and holding in the paws a Cross moline Gules a Fleur-de-Lys Argent between two Mullets Or pierced Gules.
BADGE: In front of two ragged Staves conjoined in saltire Argent a Mullet of eight points Gules charged with a Bear's Head couped Argent muzzled Gules.

Motto 'GOVERN YET OBEY'.
Granted 5th February 1976?.

The Borough of North Warwickshire was formed by the amalgamation of the Atherstone Rural District and part of the Meriden Rural District.

north warwickshire bc arms
north warwichshire badge
Badge

The shield is based on the ragged staff and red background of the Warwickshire CC arms. Here two white ragged staves are joined to suggest the union of two former Warwick­shire authorities. The kestrel has developed a reputation as "the bird of the Motorways", which it has learned to frequent, and is an apt reminder of the important position of North Warwickshire in the modern motorway system. The two golden wheatsheaves, taken from the Atherstone RDC seal, indicate the two rural districts from which the Borough is formed, and the importance of agriculture. The golden sun charged with a cogwheel symbolizes the energy-producing and engineering industries. The sun, the source of all energy, is featured with that connation in the arms of the National Coal Board.
The wreath and mantling are in the Warwickshire colours, the basic red and white of the shield. The white fleur-de-lys is from the heraldry of the Digby family of Coleshill, set between the two gold mullets with red centres, taken from the shield of the Clinton family, which was borne by Maxstoke Priory. The half white and half gold lion is from the arms of the Dilkes, seated at Maxstoke Castle for the last three centuries. His collar is from the arms of the Ferrers family whose tombs are in Merevale Church and whose arms were borne by their Abbey. The red cross moline is of the Dugdales of Merevale and Blythe Hall of which family was the great herald and antiquary, Sir William Dugdale.
The badge consists of the two ragged staves from the shield surmounted by an eight-pointed star representing the North Star and charged with the Warwickshire bear's head. The device thus pictorially suggests North Warwickshire.
The motto is adapted from a line in "The Barrens' Wars", by the local poet Michael Drayton, a native of Hartshill and a friend of Shakespeare. The full line is "As all did govern, yet all did obey".


NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH BOROUGH COUNCIL (WARWICKSHIRE)

*ARMS: Per chevron barry wavy of six Azure and Argent and Vert in chief two Fleurs-de-Lis Or and in base three Ribands in pall reversed tied with a triple Bow Argent.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Mural Crown Or charge with a Cog-wheel between two Lozenges Sable a demi Bear Argent muzzled Gules collared and chained Or supporting a Staff flying therefrom a Pennon Gules charged with a a ragged Staff Argent.

Motto 'UNITED TO ACHIEVE'.
Granted ?.

The Borough of Nuneaton and Bedworth was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Nuneaton and the Bedworth Urban District.

nuneaton and bedworth bc arms

The blue and white waves are from the arms of the Borough of Nuneaton and are illustrative of the original name of the Town 'Etone' or 'Eaton', town by the running water, in allusion to its position on the banks of the River Anker. The two gold fleur-de-lis, emblems of the Blessed Virgin Mary to whom the ancient Nuneaton Priory or Nunnery which was attached to the famous Order of Fontrevrault was dedicated. The three white ribbons on green are from the Bedworth UDC arms, in which they represent the union of its three parishes and central road pattern.
The mural crown and black diamonds, as found in both the former Nuneaton and Bedworth arms, is a symbol if civic authority and coal mining. The black cogwheel is for for engineering and the bear and ragged staff on the pennon is from the arms of the Warwickshire CC.
The motto combines those of Nuneaton "Pret d'accomplir" - Ready to Achieve and of Bedworth "United to Serve".


RUGBY BOROUGH COUNCIL (WARWICKSHIRE)

ARMS: Per chevron engrailed Azure and Or in chief a Bezant charged with a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper between two Griffins' Heads erased Or and in base a Bear erect Sable collared and supporting a ragged Staff Gules all within a Bordure Vert charged with eight Bezants.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Thunderbolt Or the Flames proper charged with a Wheel Sable between two Lions Gambs erased Or each holding a Date branch fructed proper.

Motto 'FLOREAT RUGBEIA MAIOR' - May Greater Rugby flourish.
Granted 15th March 1976.

The Borough of Rugby was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Rugby and the Rugby Rural District.

rugby bc arms

The arms are based on those of the former Borough of Rugby with additions. These in turn were largely based upon the arms used the Rugby School, being those granted to its founder, Lawrence Sheriff in 1559. He was a wealthy grocer in the time of Elizabeth I and a native of the town. The bear and ragged staff is from the arms of the Warwickshire CC and the eight bezants on the green bordure each represent five of the forty parishes of the former Rugby RDC.
The thunderbolt, in modern heraldry the symbol of electricity, stands for the great firms of the electrical industry which are centred in Rugby, and may also be taken as a reminder of the Government wireless station. The wheel represents mechanical industries.


SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (WEST MIDLANDS)

ARMS: Per saltire Vert and Or four Fers de Moline counterchanged in fess point a Fountain.
CREST: Issuing out of a Saxon Crown per pale Or and Vert a demi Stag Argent semy of Mullets and Fleurs de Lys Azure attired Or holding between the forelegs a Caduceus the staff proper winged Or and entwined by two Serpents Vert; Mantled Vert and Azure doubled Or and Argent.

Motto 'UNITY AND PROGRESS'.
Granted 4th July 1974.

The Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Warley and the County Borough of West Bromwich.

sandwell mbc arms

The green and gold "per saltire" division of the shield derives from the arms of the County Borough of Warley. The fers de moline or millrinds are drawn from the arms of County Borough of West Bromwich, and intended in those, and in the present design, to stand for local iron and brass foundries, and industrial activity generally. The heraldic fountain, is an heraldic symbol for water, and hence in conjunction with the gold sections of the shield makes an allusion to the name of Sandwell.
The mantling repeats the tinctures of the mantling pertaining to West Bromwich's arms, and also the tinctures, green and gold, of the mantling of the arms of Warley. The Saxon crown appears as part of the crest of Warley, and is here shown in the colours of its shield, gold and green. The stag is from the crest of West Bromwich and supports a Caduceus, the latter in heraldry being a device associated with industry and commercial enterprise. The mullets and fleurs de lys on the body of the stag, blue on silver, are a reminder of Sandwell Hall itself, deriving from the arms of West Bromwich and ultimately from the arms of the Earls of Dartmouth, who lived at Sandwell Hall.


SOLIHULL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (WEST MIDLANDS)

ARMS: Argent within two Barrulets Gules between in chief a Griffin passant Sable and in base a Hurt thereon a Fleur-de-Lys Argent a Greyhound courant Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Sable issuant from the Battlements of a Tower in front of a Oak Tree proper fructed Or two Sickles the shafts in saltire the blades upward and outward proper.

Motto 'URBS IN RURE' - The town in the countryside.
Granted 1975.

The Metropolitan Borough of Solihull was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Solihull, part of the Merden Rural District and part of the Stratford-on-Avon Rural District.

solihull mbc arms

The two barrulets are from the arms of Sir George Throckmorton or Throgmorton of Coughton Court, near Alcester, who purchased the Manor from the Crown in 1528 and it was held by the family until 1604. The black griffin is taken from the arms of the Finch family, Earls of Aylesford, who have held the lordships of the manors of Bickenhill and Meriden. The black greyhound is taken from the arms of the Greswold family who were associated with Solihull for several centuries and built Malvern Hall and also the Manor House in the High Street. The silver fleur-de-lys is taken from the arms of the Digby family, which has held the manor of Coleshill (including Chelmsley Wood, Kingshurst and Fordbridge) since 1496.
The crest is based on that of the former County Borough of Solihull, with a change in the colour of the wreath and mantling. The oak tree indicates that the district was formerly part of the Forest of Arden, and the tower and sickles show that while it includes considerable residential areas parts of it are still mainly agricultural. This theme is also the significance of the motto, which was also used by the former County Borough.


SOUTH DERBYSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL

*ARMS: Vert on a Chevron Or masoned Sable between three garbs Or a like number of Annulets also Sable a Chief vairy Ermine and Gules.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount Sable inflamed a Tower Argent rising therefrom Clouds of Steam proper.
*SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion Ermine gorged with a Collar vairy Ermine and Gules and on the sinister side a Wolf Erminois gorged with a Collar quarterly Ermine and Gules each charged on the shoulder with a Rose Gules barbed proper thereon another Argent barbed and seeded also proper.

Motto 'THE EARTH OUR WEALTH'.
Granted ?.

The South Derbyshire District was formed by the amalgamation of the Swadlincote Urban District, the Repton Rural District and part of the South East Derbyshire Rural District.

south derbyshire dc arms

The basic pattern of the shield is that of the South East Derbyshire RDC, a green background with two gold sheaves and a gold chevron with three black rings. These represent agriculture and the iron pipe industry, three rings rather than the original four are shown here for aesthetic reasons and to emphasise the combination of three areas. The gold chevron is masoned with black to suggest the yellow brick industry denoted by the single brick in the Swadlincote UDC crest. The third wheatsheaf represents the former Repton RDC, and this gives the three wheatsheaves of Ranulph de Blunderville, Earl of Chester, whose widow Matilda moved his Priory at Calke to Repton in the late 12th century. The ermine and red chief, like the border of the Swadlincote arms, is from the arms of the Gresley family.
The black mound with flames issuing denotes coalmining and the fireclay industry. The tower, suggested by that of the Stanhope Earls of Harrington in the South East Derbyshire crest. Here it is white and shaped so as to suggest the cooling towers of Drakelow Power Station, with white clouds issuing symbolising steam.
The ermine lion is derived from the Gresley' s crest. He wears adistinctive collar showing one row of the ermine and red pieces from the Gresley arms. The wolf is derived from the supporter of the Stanhope Earls of Harrington, he is of gold with black ermine tails, and wears a collar quartered like the Stanhope's shield in ermine and red. Each beast is charged on the shoulder with a Tudor rose from the County arms.
The motto refers to the coal, fireclay and yellow brick industries and agriculture, all symbolised in the arms.


SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert a Stag Royal's Head caboshed between the attires a Stafford Knot Or a Chief Argent fretty Gules nailed Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours, out of a Garland of Laurel Leaves Or in front of an Oak Tree proper fructed Or a demi Unicorn Argent armed crined unguled and supporting a Quiver of Arrows erect Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Stag Royal proper the dexter gorged with a Collar Argent charged with six Escallops Sable (three being manifest) the sinister gorged with a Collar Argent charged with six Mullets Gules (three being manifest) and each charged on the shoulder with a Sun in splendour Or thereon a Stafford Knot Gules.
BADGE: A Sun in splendour Or charged with a Stafford Knot Gules.

Motto 'HONESTE NEC TIMIDE' - Honestly but not timidly.
Granted 2nd January 1976.

The South Staffordshire District was formed by the amalgamation of the Cannock Rural District and the Seisdon Rural District.

south staffordshire bc arms
south staffordshire badge
Badge

The gold Stafford knot on green, was common the the arms of both former Councils. The stag's head, from the arms of the Cannock RDC, represents Cannock Chase and the Forest of Brewood. The pattern of red trellis-work on white, with gold nails at the intersections, is from the arms of the Seisdon RDC, where the trellis was from the arms of the ancient Trussel family of Seisdon and Acton Trussel. The gold nails refer to an old established local industry.
The white unicorn with gold horn, mane and hooves is from the Seisdon RDC crest, and the gold quiver and arrows from that of the Cannock RDC. These are from the heraldry of several families prominent in the life of the area; the unicorn is that of the Greys and Wrottesleys and the quiver is that of the archer in the crest of the Giffards. The laurel leaves, as in the arms of the Cannock RDC, are from the arms of the Levesons, now Dukes of Sutherland, who had much to do with the development of the local mining industry. The oak tree, also from the Cannock RDC crest, recalls the famous Boscobel Oak.
The two stags, in natural colours, indicate the Forest areas of South Staffordshire and its industries. They are also recall the supporters of two other families long associated with the area, the Littleton Barons Hatherton and the Legge Earls of Dartmouth, from whose respective arms are derived the stags' collars, showing three black scallop shells and three red five-pointed stars on white. The shoulder badges differentiate them further from other stag supporters. The full sun is a symbol of the South, and with the Knot denotes South Staffordshire. The sun is also found in the same position on the black lion supporters of the National Coal Board, being the source of all natural energy.
The motto is a combination of elements from the Seisdon motto 'HONESTE PROGREDIEMUR CONANDO' and the Cannock RDC's motto, the Bridgeman family's 'NEC TEMERE NEC TIMIDE'.


STAFFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL

*ARMS: Or four Chevronels interlaced Gules on a Chief wavy Vert below a Stafford Knot of the first a Barrulet wavy Argent.
*CREST: Out of a Palisdado Crown Or a demi figure representing St. Bertelin supporting with the dexter hand a Staff all proper.
*BADGE: On a Roundel Gules a quadrangular Castle in perspective the four towers domed Argent and each surmounted by a Pennon Or.

Granted 1974?.

The Borough of Stafford was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Stafford, the Stone Urban District, the Stafford Rural District and the Stone Rural District.

stafford bc arms
stafford badge
Badge

The four interlaced red chevronels on gold, derived from the red De Stafford chevron in the arms of the County Council, symbolise the union of the four former authorities. The green chief alludes to the pastoral and agricultural nature of the area, and the gold Stafford knot, like those in the arms of the former Borough, recall further the County. The white wavy bar represents the River Trent flowing through the area.
St. Bertelin is reputed to have been the son of the Mercian prince, the friend and disciple of St. Guthlac who, after St. Guthlac's death circa 700, continued his holy vocation on the islet of Betheney now Stafford. Here, he remained until forced to retreat to Ilam, in Dovedale, where ultimately he died. His burial place in Ilam church was for long a place of pilgrimage. He holds a staff, alluding to the name of the town, and issues from a palisade crown in reference to Stafford Castle. The first castle, built circa 1069, was basically an earth fortification with a stockade for defence, hence the palisade crown in place of the mural crown, more usually found in civic heraldry.
The badge is derived from the arms of the former borough.


STAFFORDSHIRE MOORLANDS DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Mount of Heather in base a Curlew rising proper on a Chief Vert a Stafford Knot Or.

Granted 21st January 1976.

The Staffordshire Moorlands District was formed by the amalgamation of the Biddulph Urban District, the Leek Urban District, the Cheadle Rural District and the Leek Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

staffordshire moorlands dc arms

The arms are a simple expression of the name of the District. The gold Stafford knot on a green background represents rural Staffordshire, and the curlew and heather represent the Moorlands.


STOKE-ON-TRENT CITY COUNCIL (UA) (STAFFORDSHIRE)

ARMS: Argent a Cross Gules fretty Or between in the first quarter a representation of the Portland Vase in the second a Camel kneeling proper charged on the body with an Escutcheon Argent thereon a Cross Gules in the third an Eagle displayed Sable and in the fourth a Scythe also proper on a Chief of the second a Boar's Head erased between two Stafford Knots of the the third.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Potter of ancient Egypt at his Wheel Argent.

Motto 'VIS UNITA FORTIOR' - United strength is stronger.
Granted 20th March 1912, to the Stoke-on-Trent County Borough Council.

stoke on trent city arms

The County Borough (later City) of Stoke-on-Trent was formed by the amalgamation of Stoke-on-Trent, Burslem, Fenton, Hanley, Longton and Tunstall. The emblems in the arms are derived from the various arms and devices of the constituent authorities.
The Stafford knot was taken from the Tunstall shield, and also links to the arms of the County Council. The boar's head was taken from the Stoke-upon-Trent shield and the Longton shield, these derived respectively from the arms of the Copeland and Sandford families. The Portland Vase was taken from the arms of the Burslem BC, as was the scythe, which also occurs in the Tunstall shield. The scythe or 'sned' is from the heraldry of the Sneyd family. The fretty cross was taken from the Fenton shield device and the dromedary was taken from the Hanley crest, being derived from the crest of the John Ridgway, first Mayor of that borough. The eagle was taken from the Longton crest, being derived from the crest of James Clover.
The Egyptian potter at his wheel represents the pottery industry.


STRATFORD-ON-AVON DISTRICT COUNCIL (WARWICKSHIRE)

ARMS: Gules a Bend per bend wavy Argent and Azure charged with a Bendlet wavy counter changed between two Swans naiant Argent that in chief holding in its beak a Sprig of Oak and that in base an Ear of Wheat both Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure in a Mural Crown dexter a demi Lion Or and sinister a demi Bull Gules supporting between their forefeet a Cog Wheel Argent.

Granted 25th April 1984.

The District of Stratford-on-Avon was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon, the Alcester Rural District, the Shipston on Stour Rural District, the Southam Rural District, and most of the Stratford-on-Avon Rural District.

stratford-on-avon dc arms

The shield is predominately in the national colours of red, white and blue. The red shield echoes that of the Warwickshire CC and the white and blue bend with is wavy divisions pictorially represents the River Avon crossing the District. Swans have long been associated with the river and with Stratford town in both literary allusion and popular imagination, and can be seen as symbolising tourism. The sprig of oak and the ear of wheat refer to the two major parts of the District in former times. The oak recalls the Forest of Arden, which lay on the right bank of the River Avon, and the wheat makes reference to the Feldon, on the opposite bank — that extensive, cleared area which was under the plough in both Roman and medieval times. They are also symbolic of agriculture in general.
The red bull and the golden lion are taken from the crests of the Alcester RDC and the Southam RDC respectively. In these crests the red bull represented agriculture and commemorated the cattle market at Alcester, and the lion was that of England, and had reference to the Battle of Edgehill. The mural crown is an a common symbol of civic government and the cogwheel refers to the engineering industry.


TAMWORTH BOROUGH COUNCIL (STAFFORDSHIRE)

ARMS: Per fess Azure and Gules a Fess Vair between in chief a Saltire and in base a Fleur-de-Lis Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours infront of a Mount Vert thereon a representation of Tamworth Castle proper two Swords in saltire Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Bear Argent muzzled Gules collared and chained Or and on the sinister side a Lion Gules crowned Or.
BADGE: A Saltire Or surmounted by a Fleur-de-Lys Azure.

Granted 1st May 1965.

tamworth bc arms
tamworth badge
Badge

The gold saltire on blue is from the arms of the Kingdom of Mercia. When Offa came to the throne of Mercia in 757 AD, he made Tamworth his chief residence and built a palace there. Shortly after the Norman Conquest, William gave the royal Anglo-Saxon castle of Tamworth and its lands to his Royal Steward, Robert de Marmion. It was the Marmion family, who built the stone castle and the vair is from their arms. The fleur-de-lys is from the Borough Seal and probably derives from the arms of Elizabeth I, by whom the town was incorporated.
The crossed sword in front of a representation of Tamworth Castle, represent the office of Champion of England, held by the Marmion family.
The crowned lion, is like one of the supporters of the arms of Staffordshire County Council and the chained bear, is like that in the arms of Warwickshire County Council. Tamworth was previously situated in both counties, the boundary ran through the centre of the town along the main streets, until 1889 when the town was transferred wholly to Staffordshire.


WARWICK DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Cross quadrate Gules a Castle of three Towers within a circular Wall in perspective pierced by a Port with Portcullis Argent between four Cross crosslets Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours within a Circlet of four Fleurs de Lys and four Mullets Or pierced Gules alternately a demi Lion queue-fourchee Vert supporting a Rod of Esculapius proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Bear supporting a ragged Staff Argent and gorged with a Wreath of Oak fructed proper.

Motto 'FORWARD IN UNITY'.
Granted 13th November 1975.

The District of Warwick was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Royal Leamington Spa, the Borough of Warwick, the Kenilworth Urban District and the Warwick Rural District.

warwick dc arms

The red cross crosslet are from the arms of the Beauchamp Earls of Warwick and appear in the Warwickshire CC arms. Here, they are restored to their original colour, gold on red, and their number increased to four to signify the four former Warwickshire authorities. The three-towered castle encircled by a wall, is derived from the arms of the former Borough of Warwick, which lends its name to the new District.
The wreath and mantling are in the main colours of the shield, red and gold. The fleurs de lys and pierced mullets are emblems of the Clinton family seen respectively in the arms of the Borough of Royal Leamington Spa and Kenilworth UDC. The green double-tailed lion is from the arms of the Dudleys, and was also common to both these arms. He supports the Esculapian rod, symbol of healing, which in the Leamington crest alludes to the properties of the Spa.
The combined bear and ragged staff is the time-honoured device of the Earls of Warwick, long associated with the County and Warwick itself, and seen in various forms in many of the County's civic arms. It was the crest of the former Borough of Warwick and the device of the Warwick RDC, as well as being the main charge in the County arms. Here it is depicted without the muzzle, collar and chain which usually accompany them, to emphasise the freedom of the inhabitants to speak and act. The oak wreath collars were suggested by the tree in the Warick RDC device, and are an allusion to the Forest of Arden.


TOWN AND PARISH COUNCILS

KENILWORTH TOWN COUNCIL (WARWICKSHIRE)

ARMS: Argent on a Mount in base Vert a Castle of three Towers Gules on a Chief Azure two Mullets Or pierced Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules an Ostrich Feather Ermine supported by two Lions queue fourchee the dexter Argent the sinister Vert each gorged with a Crown pendent therefrom an Escallop Or.

Motto 'CIVES OPPIDI FUNDAMENTA' - Citizens are the foundations of a town.
Granted 5th January 1966, to the Kenilworth Urban District Council.

kenilworth tc arms

The red castle represent Kenilworth Castle, one of the greatest in the Midlands, which appeared in a pictorial representation on the former seal of the Council. The castle in the arms is coloured red to indicate the local red sandstone of which it is built. The blue chief and golden mullets are from the arms attributed to Geoffrey de Clinton, Chamberlain and Treasurer to King Henry I, who founded both Kenilworth Castle and Kenilworth Priory. His arms were said to have been used by Kenilworth Priory (later Abbey), but they do not appear on the seal on the deed of surrender of the Abbey. A castle and a blue chief both appear in the arms of Lord Kenilworth, who purchased the castle from the Earl of Clarendon in 1937 and presented it to the nation.
The red and white of the wreath and mantling are colours the Warwickshire County Council. The white lion is from the arms of Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, who held Kenilworth Castle from 1248, through his wife the sister of King Henry III. During the later war between the King and the de Montforts the Castle played a prominent role. The ermine ostrich feather was one of the badges of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, who inherited Kenilworth Castle in 1362. He spent lavishly in con­verting the Castle from a fortress into a palace and he erected the Great Hall. The green lion is from the arms of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, the favourite of Queen Elizabeth I. He was granted Kenilworth Castle by the Queen in 1563, and entertained her there on several occasions. The crowns and scallop shells, are from the arms of the Hyde and Villiers families, successive Earls of Clarendon, who held the castle from 1665 until 1937.


LEEK TOWN COUNCIL (STAFFORDSHIRE)

ARMS: Azure a Saltire patonce between in chief a Stafford Knot in fesse two Suns and in base a Garb all Or.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Or charged with three Mulberry Leaves proper a Mount of Heather thereon a Moorcock also proper resting the dexter claw on a Leek small-weave Shuttle Gold threaded Gules.

Motto 'ARTE FAVENTE NIL DESPERANDUM' - Our skill assisting us, we have no cause for despair.
Granted 7th May 1956, to the Leek Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

leek tc arms

The basic colours of the arms are gold on a blue ground, the colours of the Earldom of Chester, Dieulacrcsse Abbey, the Kingdom of Mercia and St. Edward. The cross, is that of St. Edward, patron saint of the parish, here it is set X-wise to recall the golden saltire on blue from the arms traditionally associated with the Saxon earldom and kingdom of Mercia, in which Leek held an important place under Earl Ælfgar. The Stafford Knot, like that in the arms of the County Council, indicates the town's importance in North Staffordshire. The wheat sheaf, is from the arms of the Earls of Chester, from whom the manor of Leek was held by the monks of Dieulacresse Abbey, founded in 1214 by Ranulph, Earl of Chester. The two suns recall the well-known Leek phenomenon of the "double sunset" and also refer to those in the arms of the family of Nicholson who have been so closely connected with Leek's modern development.
The mural crown is a symbol of local government and recalls Leek's traditional title of "Capital of the Moorlands". The mulberry leaves stand for the silk industry and the mound of heather and moorcock refer, to the moorlands, and also to the local archaeological feature, Cock Low. The special type of small-weave shuttle is characteristic of the local Industry.
The motto is that which was in use before the arms were granted.


LICHFIELD CITY COUNCIL (STAFFORDSHIRE)
Link to Lichfield City Council Web Site

ARMS: Chequey of nine Or a Chevron Gules and Ermine.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a representation of St. Chad vested in alb and amice proper the orphreys Vert embroidered Or a dalmatic of the first embroidered of the second and a chasuble of the second trimmed of the first embroidered of the second gloves Argent and shoes Purpure in the bend of his exterior arm a Pastoral Staff of the second and in his exterior hand a representation of Lichfield Cathedral proper and on the sinister side a representation of a Guild Master of Lichfield in fifteenth century dress proper carrying in his exterior hand a Bunch of Roses Gules leaved and stalked proper.

Motto 'SALVE MAGNA PARENS' - Hail great mother (or parent).
Granted 28th March 1950, to the former City Council.

The new Lichfield City Council was established in 1980. It is a parish council with city status granted by letters patent.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

lichfield city arms

The arms are ancient, the red chevrons on gold are probably from the arms of the Stafford family, Dukes of Buckingham and Earls of Stafford. Ermine is an ancient emblem of honour and purity.
The supporters refer to the See and City, St Chad became the first Bishop of Lichfield in 669.
The motto was first used by Dr Samuel Johnson at the begining of the compilation of his famous dictionary. It was a tribute by him, not only to his native city, but also to the Cathedral as the mother church of the ancient Kingdom of Mercia.


RIPLEY TOWN COUNCIL (DERBYSHIRE)

ARMS: Vert on a Chevron Or between in chief two Stags' Heads caboshed and in base a Fleur de Lys Argent a Chevronel Sable surmounted by a Tudor Rose barbed and seeded proper all within a Bordure also Argent thereon six Horseshoes also Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Mural Crown Sable Flames proper issuant therefrom a Unicorn's Head Argent armed and crined Or charged with three Spearheads erect one and two Gules.

Motto 'INGENIUM INDUSTRIA ALITUR' - Skill is fostered by diligence.
Granted 8th April 1954, to the Ripley Urban District Council.

ripley tc arms

The green background of the shield refers to the Royal Forest of Duffield which gives the ancient background of the district. The stags' heads, another reference to the Forest, are also from the arms of the Cavendish Dukes of Devonshire who came into possession of Ripley after the Dissolution. The chevron is for Heage or "Highedge" and also for the hilly character of the situation of Ripley. The black thinner chevron represents the coal seam lying beneath, and the Tudor rose, from the County arms, also refers to Coronation year, in which the grant of arms was sought. The fleur de lys is from a seal attributed to Darley Abbey, and is also the emblem of St. Mary patron of Crich, part of which is in the District. As the whole area was formerly in the protection of Darley Abbey, the arms are surrounded by a white border with six black horseshoes from the arms of its founders, the Ferrers family.
The black mural crown denotes a mining town, and the unicorn's head, adapted from the Wright crest which is used by the Butterley Company, rises from the flames suggesting the local heavy industries.
The motto can also be translated as "Character thrives on hard work" or "Ability thrives on industry" and is a quotation from Cicero.


ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA TOWN COUNCIL (WARWICKSHIRE)

ARMS: Per fesse Argent and Or a Lion rampant double queued Vert debruised by a Chevron Vair in chief three Mullets Gules all within a Bordure Azure charged with eight Fleurs-de-lis of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Staff raguly in bend Argent surmounted by a Staff in bend sinister Or entwined with a Serpent proper two Sprigs of Forget-me-nots in saltire also proper; Mantled Vert doubled Or.

Motto 'SOLA BONA QUÆ HONESTA' - Only those things that are honourable are good.
Granted 6th November 1876, to the Royal Leamington Spa Borough Council.

royal leamington spa arms

The division of the shield horizontally into gold and silver symbolises the manors of Leamington Priors and Newbold Comyn, which together formed the Borough of Royal Leamington Spa. The red mullets are from the arms of Willes, who held the Newbold Comyn estate, part of the original manor of Newbold Comyn. Edward Willes, who inherited the estate in 1820, was very largely responsible for the development of Leam­ington in its early days. The green lion comes from the arms of Ambrose Dudley, Earl of Warwick, to whom Queen Elizabeth I granted the manors of Leamington Priors and Newbold Comyn in 1563. The lion covers both divisions of the shield to indicate that he held both manors. The chevron is from the arms of the Fishers of Packington, who inherited much of the property of Ambrose Dudley, when he died without issue in 1589. The golden fleurs-de-lys on the border are derived from the arms of the Clinton family, one of whose members, Geoffrey de Clinton, founder of Kenilworth Castle and Priory, gave the manor of Leamington to the Priors of Kenilworth.
The ragged staff, of the Earls of Warwick, refers to Warwickshire and the Rod of Aesculapius denotes the health-giving qulities of the Spa. The forget-me-nots are supposed by the designer to be the badge of the Lords of Kenilworth when Leamington was under control of Leamington Priory. There is a legend of the forget-me-not, attributing it as a badge to Henry, Duke of Hereford, later King Henry IV, however there is no evidence that either Henry IV or any other member of the House of Lancaster ever used the plant as a badge.


WARWICK TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Sable a Walled Town with three Towers Argent issuing from each of the flanking Towers a demi Figure representing a Nightwatchman respectant winding a Horn Argent habited and capped Gules the central Tower charged with an Escutcheon Gules thereon a ragged Staff bendwise between in chief a Mullet of six points and an Increscent Silver.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Bear supporting a ragged Staff Sable.

Motto 'ANTIQUUM OBTINENS' - Possessing antiquity or Holding fast to tradition.
Granted 10th April 1964, to the Warwick Borough Council.

warwick tc arms

The arms are based on the seal of the Borough, dating back to the 14th century, which was recorded at the Visitations of Warwickshire in 1619 and 1682. The design showed a walled town, within the outer wall of which appeared a gateway flanked by two towers each manned by a watchman blowing a horn. Between these towers rose two spires, and in the middle was a high tower on which hung a shield charged with a ragged staff. The flanking towers were enclosed by a six pointed star on the dexter and a crescent on the sinister. Varying versions of this design were used as the device of the Borough of Warwick up to the time when arms were granted.
The crest of a demi-bear supporting a ragged staff is based on the old Warwickshire emblem of the bear and ragged staff, a description of which is to be found under Warwickshire CC.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page