ALTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent issuant from a Base barry wavy of four of the first and Vert a Mount also Vert thereon a Yew Tree proper on a Chief Sable three Lions' Faces jessant-de-Lys Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Vert a Greyhound sejant Sable charged on the shoulder with a Cinquefoil Argent and resting the dexter forepaw on an open Book proper edged and bound gold.

Motto 'ALTO NOMINE' - Of high renown.
Granted 1st August 1957.

alton rdc arms

The main colours, green and white, are those of the chalk downs and woodlands. The hill and tree refer to the downs and forests, the tree in particular emphasising the beauty of the district as embodied in the yew-tree at Selborne made famous by Gilbert White. The wavy lines in base are an allusion to the River Wey. The three lions' heads pierced by fleurs de lys are from the arms of Sir Adam de Gurdon, who was the deposed lord of the manor of Selbourne and a follower of Simon de Montfort. His lands were later restored upon the accession of Edward, and in 1272 he was made keeper of the Forest of Woolmer.
The greyhound is from the crest of the Palmer, Earls of Selborne charged with the Norton cinquefoil, it holds a book for Jane Austen and Gilbert White.
The motto can also be read in punning heraldy fashion as "Alton by name".


ALDERSHOT BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Gules and Vair in the first quarter a Mitre Or and in the fourth two Swords in saltire proper pomelled and hilted of the third.
CREST: Issuant out of a Mural Crown a Hind's Head proper charged on the neck with a Spur Rowel Sable.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion guardant Gules gorged with a Collar Or pendent therefrom an Escutcheon Vair.

Motto 'PUGNA PRO PATRIA' - Fight for your country.
Granted 27th May 1923.

aldershot bc arms

The arms, crest, supporters and motto are based on the arms of the Tichborne family who owned the Manor of Aldershot from 1599 into the 18th century. The mitre has been added to represent the Bishops of Winchester, who originally owned the ancient Hundred of Crondall which included Aldershot. The crossed swords refer to the well-know Military associations of the Borough.
The family Motto of the Tichbornes could not have been more appropriate for an Army Town.


ANDOVER BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Mount Vert in front of an Oak Tree fructed proper a Lion statant guardant Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Stag Or resting the dexter forehoof on a Lozenge Argent charged with a Fleur-de-Lis Azure.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion guardant Gules and on the sinister side an Eagle wings elevated and addorsed Azure.

Motto 'CONSTANTIA BASIS VIRTUTUM' - Steadfastness is the foundation of the virtues.
Granted 4th April 1949.

andover bc arms

The lion standing against an oak-tree is taken from the device on a former seal of the Borough dating from at latest 1648. This is supposed to have been adopted because there was a royal hunting-lodge, at the place now called Woodhouse.
The deer alludes to the forest and surrounding Andover, and the fleur-de-lis is for St Mary, the patron saint.
The red lion, besides being the national emblem, is from the heraldry of the Earl of Suffolk and Berkshire, who is also Viscount Andover. The eagle indicates that Andover has been an important centre for the Royal Air Force.
The motto is that of Robert, Earl of Essex, who as High Steward of the Borough secured for it the charter granted by Queen Elizabeth I.


EASTLEIGH BOROUGH COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Or on a Bend chequy Sable and Argent between in chief a Mitre of the second and in base a Lily leaved and slipped proper three Roses Gules barbed and seeded also proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a rising Sun a winged Wheel Or.

Motto 'SALUS POPULI SUPREMA LEX' - The welfare of the people is the highest law.
Granted 16th January 1934, to the Eastleigh Urban District Council.

eastleigh bc arms

The chequered bend on a gold field recalls the fact that Eastieigh was a manor held in chief of the King by the service of the holder as Chamberlain of the Royal Exchequer. The three red roses are those of Hampshire, which were according to tradition granted to the County by John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster. The bishop's mitre forms a reference to the Bishops of Winchester and their connection with Bishopstoke, and the lily is that of St. Mary, the patron of the Churches at Bishopstoke and South Stoneham, out of which Eastieigh was created.
The winged wheel represent transport and industry and the rising sun progress.


FARNBOROUGH URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fess dancettée Azure and Gules in chief two Wings conjoined and expabded fesswise and in base a Fir Tree couped Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of two Fern Leaves in saltire Vert a a Cross couped between two Roses Or.

Motto 'FIDES ET JUSTITIA' - Faith and justice.
Granted 23rd January 1934.

farnborough udc arms

The three points formed by the division of the shield refers to three turmuli in thre district and suggests its antiquities. The wings allude to the Royal Air Force, of which Farnborough was the birthplace and the fir tree stands for the pine woods prominent in the area.
The fern leaves refer to the derivation of the place name from Ferneberga. The cross symbolises the town's religious life and the roses derive from the insignia of the County.


LYMINGTON BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on Waves of the Sea in base an Ancient Ship sail furled proper pendent from the cross spar an Escutcheon Or charged with three Torteaux and a Label of three points Azure on a Bordure embattled Gules three Bezants between each three Plates.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules a demi winged Sea Lion Azure wings and fins Argent supporting a Staff Or flying therefrom a Pennon Gules charged with the Badge of the Borough of Lymington; Mantled Azure doubled Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion Azure and on the sinister side a Boar Argent crined and unguled Or.
BADGE: An Ancient Ship as in the Arms encircled by a Chain the links alternately Argent and Or.

Motto 'BY SEA AND FOREST ENCHANTED'.
Granted 2nd November 1964.

lymnington bc arms

No further information currently available.


NEW FOREST RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Ermine a Stag's Head caboshed Gules between the Antlers an Arrow point downwards also Gules surmounted by a Stirrup Sable on a Chief Vert the Head of an Abbot's Crosier between two Crowns each consisting of four Fleurs-de-Lys affixed to a Rim Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules a Lymphad Or Flying Flags and Pennon of St. George the Sail Sable charged with an Acorn stalked leaved and slipped Gold and with a Chief of the last thereon three Gouttes d'Huile.

Motto 'OLD YET EVER NEW'.
Granted 27th April 1955.

new forest rdc arms

The background of royal ermine, the red stag's head and the green chief symbolise the Royal Forest. The red arrow, between the stag's antlers, alludes to the famous tradition of William Rufus' death. It is surmounted by the stirrup from the Verderers' Hall at Lyndhurst, formerly used to assess the size of dogs. The ancient royal crowns and the head of the crosier represent the connections of the Norman Kings and Beaulieu Abbey with the area.
The crest is an ancient ship with one sail, with the old flag of St. George formerly flown by our ships. On the sail a gold acorn against black represents the harmonious co-existence of the growing industrial district and the ancient forest community, and the motto echoes the same idea. At the top of the sail are three oil drops on gold to symbolise the importance, both local and national, of the Fawley Refinery. The crest thus combines the ship­ping and industries of the New Forest Rural District.


RINGWOOD AND FORDINGBRIDGE RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure issuant from the base point an Oak Tree the trunk enfiled with a Circlet Or and fructed of sixteen Acorns of the field on a Chief wavy Gold a Bridge of seven Arches of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Mural Crown a New Forest Pony's Head between two Sprigs of Broom flowered all proper.

Motto 'RURIS ARTES FOVERE'.
Granted 1st February 1961.

ringwood and fordingbridge rdc arms

The shield is a simple representation of the name of the District. The oak tree encircled by a ring signifies Ringwood and the wavy line represents the River Avon and the seven arched bridge is for Fordingbridge. The oak tree has sixteen acorns, one for each parish in the rural district. The Shield is carried out entirely in blue and gold, the heraldic colours of noble families long seated within the district.
The mural crown suggests the Roman and other ancient encampments in the district, with emblems representing the dual physical aspect of the District, namely, the pony's head for the New Forest, and broom for the extensive heathlands.
It can be noted that the three initial letters of the motto RAF correspond with those of Ringwood and Fordingbridge.


WINCHESTER RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure two Garbs and in base a Naval Crown Or on a Chief of the last a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper between two Lymphads of the first all within a Bordure Argent charged with six Trout naiant pursuant from the dexter Sable alternating with as many Slips of Watercress also proper.
CREST: Issuant from a Saxon Crown Or a demi Lion guardant Gules holdong in the paws a Mullet Gold.

Motto 'ARDUA VINCE MERENDO' - Overcome difficulties by service.
Granted 20th April 1953.

winchester rdc arms

The two sheaves of corn represent agriculture and the naval crown symbolises the Naval Station in the District. The Hampshire Rose refers to the County and the two ships represent the ship building and yachting activities in the South of the District. The border represents the River Itchen, a beautiful waterway flowing through the District, with its trout, and watercress industry established in its upper reaches.
In the Crest there is the English Lion rising from King Alfred's Saxon Crown, it holds a five pointed star representing the five principal Committees through which the Council carries out its work.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page