DURSLEY RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL
dursley rdc arms

ARMS: Gules a Paschal Lamb proper within an Orle of [ten] Crosses formy Argent on a Chief Vert between two Cartwheels of eight spokes Or an open Book also proper garnished Gold thereon the words HOLY BIBLE in letter Sable.
CREST: Out of a Crown vallary Or a Mount of Sand standing thereon a White-fronted Goose close proper.

Motto 'GOD WITH US'.
Granted 12th May 1952.

The Paschal Lamb, an emblem of the wool trade, recalls the former importance of Dursley as a centre of the Gloucestershire wool industry. The crosslets are from the arms of the Berkeley family, Viscounts Dursley. The green chief represents the rural areas and the Bible represents its translator, William Tyndale, who was born in this district. One of the wheels stands for the Lister Engineering Company, and the other for Sir Isaac Pitman, who began teaching his shorthand system at Wotton-under-Edge, taking his basic symbols from the curves and radial lines of an eight-spoked wheel.
The crest represents the Severn Wildfowl Trust, the goose standing within the protective circle of a vallary crown.
The motto refers to Tyndale's work.


EAST DEAN RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry wavy of six Argent and Vert on a Pile Erminois in chief an Oak Tree couped proper fructed with eleven Acorns Or and in base a Stag's Head caboshed also proper.
CREST: Issuant from a Coronet composed of four Fleurs-de-Lys set on a Rim Or a demi figure representing an ancient Forest of Dean Miner capped and habited Sable in his mouth a Stick transfixing a Candle enflamed proper holding in the dexter hand a Pick erect and carrying over the sinister shoulder a Hod of Coal also proper.

Motto 'VELUT SILVA FLOREAT' - May she flourish as the Forest.
Granted 9th April 1954.

east dean rdc arms
market house
The Miners Brass

The golden pile between the green and white waves represents the topographical character of the District, wedged between the rivers Severn and Wye. The stag's head and oak tree, carrying eleven acorns for the eleven East Dean parishes, indicates the ancient Forest of Dean, against a background of the royal colours gold and ermine.
The ancient crown of fleurs-de-lys is another reference to the Royal Forest, and from it rises the old Forest of Dean miner, derived from an old brass engraving known as "the Miners Brass" in All Saints Church, Newland. This shows a Forest miner with a candle in his mouth, a pick axe in his hand, and a hod. This has become one of the symbols of the Forest of Dean.


KINGSWOOD URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron Vert and Or in chief two Stags' Heads caboshed proper crowned with a Coronet composed of four Fleurs-de-Lis set upon a Rim of the second and in base a Boar's Head erased Sable all within a Bordure Ermine.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Lion Gules gorged with a Chain Or and holding in the paws a Torch erect Sable inflamed proper.

Motto 'FACE THE DAWN'.
Granted 21st July 1945.

kingswood udc arms

Kingswood was anciently a royal forest and is represented by the crowned stags' heads, while the boar's head stands for Hanham, in the Swineshead Hundred. The chevronwise division of the shield symbolizes Kingswood Hill and Hanham Mount, and the ermine border indicates the enclosure of these districts as the king's land. The boar's head is black, to represent the coal of the district, while its bristly character betokens the local brush-making industry.
The red lion is from the arms of Gloucestershire CC and the chain stands for engineering and other heavy industries, while the torch, besides its industrial significance, represents enlightenment in religion, education, and local government, it is coloured black to again allude to coal mining.


LYDNEY RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Pile wavy throughout Vert a Stag's Head caboshed between the attires a Port between two Towers Or on a Chief Sable three Crosses formy Gold.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four Ears of Wheat and as many Acorns leaved alternately set upon a Rim Or a demi Bull guardant Gules ringed and a Line therefrom reflexed over the back Gold holding between the legs a Cogwheel Gold; Mantled Gules doubled Or.

Motto 'TWIXT SEVERN AND WYE'.
Granted 20th May 1965.

lydney rdc arms

The wavy green pile on white represents the shape of the district, between the rivers Severn and the Wye. The gold stag's head refers to the Royal Forest of Dean and the castle between its antlers is for St. Briavels Castle, in wihich the Court of Verderers was held as well as the court moot for the Hundred. The three gold crosses on black are from the arms of the Viscounts Bledisloes and refer to the many associations this family has with the District and also the Hundred of Bledisloe. The crosses can also represent the great monastic houses of Llanthony, Tintern and Bath.
The colours of the mantling red and gold are the same as the County Council and the rural crown represents the area's agriculture and natural beauty. The red bull is from the heraldry of Lord Bledisloe and also symbolises agriculture, stock raising and ancillary rural industries. The golden cogwheel alludes to the prosperity brought to the District by newer industries.
The motto comes from the local verse 'Blest is the Eye, twixt Severn and Wye'.


NORTHLEACH RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure on a Chevron between in chief two Woolpacks and in base a Garb Or three Mullets of six points Gules.
CREST: Out of a Circlet vairy Argent and Gules and in front of a demi double-headed Eagle displayed Sable charged on the breast with a Long Cross Or in each beak an Ostrich Feather also Gules two Spiked Clubs in saltire Gold; Mantled Azure doubled Or.

Motto 'SPIRAT IN DEO' - Put your hope in God.
Granted 6th December 1960.

northleach rdc arms

The woolpacks symbolize Northleach when it was famous as a wool town in the fifteenth century. The chevron with three stars represents Westwoods Grammar School, Northleach, an ancient foundation which was originally housed in the actual Council Offices. The sheaf of corn symbolizes the present day agricultural industry.
The crest incorporates elements from the arms of four well known families who have a long association with the district - Bathurst, Beale-Browne, St. Aldwyn and Sherborne. Also embodied in the crest is the church, which is symbolised by a gold passion cross charged on the breast of the eagle.


SODBURY RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Fesse dancetty Sable between two Lions passant guardant Gules three Clarions Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules in Front of a Portcullis Sable chained Argent a Tower Or.

Motto 'CIVIBUS SODALIBUS QUE' - For the citizens and companions.
Granted 5th October 1966.

sodbury rdc arms

The lions refer to the reputed arms of the former Borough of Chipping Sodbury. The tinctures of the arms in question are uncertain but in a mural painting in the Town Hall of early nineteenth century date, the lions appear to be red. The fesse dancetty is taken from the arms of the West family. The town of Wickwar was held by the La Warrs and their successors, West Lords de la Warr from 1207 to 1618. The three clarions are said to have been the arms of Robert, Earl of Gloucester (bastard of Henry I). His son William, 2nd Earl, founded Keynsham Abbey and endowed it inter alia with the manor of Marshfield. Keynsham Abbey had a coat of six clarions in allusion to their founder and this coat appears on the mace which is preserved at Marshfield. Chipping Sodbury, Wickwar and Marshfield were all old boroughs within the Rural District. Another family quite unconnected with the above, bore three clarions - the Granvilles of Devon and Cornwall. Sir Basil Granville who was mortally wounded at the Battle of Lansdown was carried to the parsonage house at Cold Ashton and there died.
The Portcullis and tower forms part of the heraldry of the Duke of Beaufort whose seat at Badminton is also within the Rural District.


STROUD URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert a Bendlet wavy Argent between six Billets Gules each fimbriated Or.
CREST: On a Wreath alternately Argent and Vert and Argent and Gules a demi Man proper habited in the Arms Gules a Fesse chequy Or and Azure in dexter chief an Annulet Gold; Mantled Vert and Gules doubled Argent.

Motto 'PERSEVERA' - Persevere.
Granted 1st July 1960.

stroud udc arms

The abundance of water attracted weavers into the surrounding valleys and Stroud grew to become the centre famous for cloth of exceptional quality, among them the famous Stroud scarlet. The lengths of this cloth were dried in the fields and several historians have commented on the appearance of the landscape in and around Stroud, in their day. A painting in the Museum shows a panorama from Rodborough Fort, with large areas of red cloth spread out in the green fields or hung on the tenters. The design of the shield is based on this idea. The silver wavy band represents the water, on which the trade of the area, and therefore the growth of the town, depended. The green background represents the fields and the red billets the cloths laid out to dry. The gold outlines are required by heraldic laws to prevent colour being put on colour.
In 1395 at the death of a kinsman, Richard Whittington, the celebrated "Dick" Whittington, later four times Mayor of London, became Lord of the Manor. The Whittingtons remained in possession for about a century. The south aisle and porch of the old chapel, which used to stand on the site of the present Parish Church of St Laurence, was built about 1450, the Whittington arms being carved on the porch. Thomas Whittington showed his interest by being buried in his chapel of Stroud instead of the mother church of Bisley and he endowed the chapel with property and, what was in those days a considerable sum of money. Because of their certain identification with early Stroud, a knight of the Whittington family has been used for the crest.
Because of the romance of Dick Whittington, and the example to succeed by perseverance, the motto was adopted.


TEWKESBURY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules a Cross engrailed Or on a Chief per pale Argent and Gules a Castle proper flying from each flanking Turret a Flag counter-changed between two Roses counterchanged barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules out of a Saxon Crown Or a demi Lion double-queued Vert holding in the paws a Pear Sable.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Panther guardant Argent semy of Torteaux Hurts and Pomeis alternately issuant from the mouth and ears Flames proper collared with a Chain reflexed over the back Or and on the sinister side an Eagle wings expanded and inverted Argent beaked and legged Or; upon a Compartment Vert a Pall wavy Argent charged with another Azure.

Motto 'IN CONSILIO SAPIENTIA' - There is wisdom in Counsel.
Granted 10th April 1964.

tewkesbury bc arms

The golden cross on red refers to the arms of Tewkesbury Abbey and occupies the place of honour. The castle is derived from the Common Seal, which displayed a representation of a castle and the red and white roses refer to the Battle of Tewkesbury in 1471.
The demi-lion with two tails is from the arms of the arms of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, who was responsible for obtaining the first charter in 1574. The Saxon crown denotes a Royal Borough with ancient Saxon origins. The black pear from the arms of Sir George Dowty, who was granted the Honorary Freedom of the Borough in 1964, for bringing a good deal of new employment to the town and who subsequently presented these arms to the Borough.
The heraldic Panther is from the arms of the Dukes of Beaufort, who have served the town as High Steward and the Eagle from the arms of the Earl of Coventry, whose family have had a long association with the Borough. The compartment shows symbolically the confluence at Tewkesbury of the Rivers Severn and Avon.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page