BARKING BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Sable on a Pale Ermine between two Lions rampant combatant two Abbess's Crosiers in saltire Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Sable the Fifteenth Century Curfew Tower of Barking proper.
SUPPORTERS: Two Lions rampant Or each holding in the paw a Torch enflamed proper.

Motto 'DEI GRATIA SUMUS QUOD SUMUS' - By the grace of God we are what we are.
Granted 16th October 1931.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham in 1965.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

barking bc arms
curfew tower
An old engraving of the Barking Curfew Tower

Barking came into existence in the sixth century, and owed much of its early prosperity to the foundation of Barking Abbey by Erkenwald, later Bishop of London in 666. It was in fact a nunnery and grew to become the richest and most powerful in the country, numbering three queens and two princesses among its abbesses and owning vast tracts of land in the great Forest of Waltham. Edmund and Jasper Tudor were both raised and tutored at the abbey school, ironically it was Jasper's grandson, Henry VIII, who was responsible for the abbey's dissolution in 1539. The abbess' crosiers in the arms recall this great religious foundation.
The Monteagle and Cecil families both held land in Barking, the Cecils came into possession of Bifrons Estate by the marriage of the heiress Frances Gascoyne to James Cecil, Marquis of Salisbury, who took the surname Gascoyne-Cecil. One of their sons was Robert Gascoyne Cecil, the Prime Minister. Both families are recalled by the lions derived from their heraldry, the Cecils arms were supported by ermine lions and the ermine pale is probably derived from these.
The Abbey's gate-house is seen in the crest, known locally as the Curfew Tower it was used as a device by the former Barking Urban District Council. The Tower houses the rood from the Abbey and together with part of the walls is the only part of the Barking Abbey still intact. In 1870 the Gas Light and Coke Company opened the Beckton Gas Works, which was partly in Barking and on 19th May 1925, George V opened the Central Electricity Generating Board's "A","B" and "C" stations at Creeksmouth, Barking. These two industries were previously important locally and are recalled by the torches held by the lions, themselves derived from those in the arms.
The motto is a variation of that of the Abbey.


BENFLEET URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Tierced in pairle reversed Gules Vert and Argent in chief two Ancient Crowns Or and in base two Bars wavy azure.
CREST: On a Wreath Or Gules and Vert between two Horns Or a Viking Ship Sable shields oars and sail Gold the sail charged with a Castle also Sable.
BADGE: A Viking Ship as in the Crest on Waves barry wavy Azure and Argent all within a Wreath Or Gules and Vert.

Motto 'SOCIETAS FLOREBIT' - Fellowship will blossom.
Granted 28th February 1962

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

benfleet udc arms

The division of the shield into three parts refers the parishes of South Benfleet, Thundersley and Hadleigh, from which the Urban District was formed in 1929. The red section recalls that Thundersley was long a Royal Honour, red being a colour associated with the crown. The green section refers to Hadleigh's Royal Park and the blue and white waves in the last section to the creeks of South Benfleet. The two crowns emphasise further the district's royal connections.
The Viking ship was used as a badge by the council before the arms were granted and the horns are taken from those on a Viking helmet. The castle refers to Hadleigh Castle, which was originally founded in 1232 and later rebuilt by Edward III around 1365. The extensive ruins are a prominent landmark overlooking the Thames estuary.


BOCKING PARISH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure a Cross between in the first and fourth quarters a Dolphin naiant in the second quarter a Fleur-de-Lys and in the third quarter a Woolpack all Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Dolphin naiant Azure charged with a Chevron couped Argent.

Motto 'CONSILIO ET CONCORDIA' - By counsel and good fellow ship.
Granted 23rd November 1927.

The white cross on blue is from the arms of the Priory of the Holy Saviour at Canterbury (which are still used by the Dean and Chapter). Bocking was given to the Priory by the Saxon Atheric Worthfulman and his wife Leofwin in 1006. The dolphins are from the crest of William Courtnay, Archbishop of Canterbury from 1381 to 1396. The cross and dolphins were taken as the seal of Bocking Deanery, the first of which dates from the time of William Courtnay. The Courtnays adopted a dolphin, the symbol of Byzantium, as their crest to show their connection with that maritime empire, one of whose emperors descended from a branch of the family. The woolpack refers to weaving and spinning, which has been practised in Bocking since Saxon times. In 1304 Flemish craftsmen were introduced into the town, and under their guidance Bocking grew to be one of the greatest weaving towns in the country. The silver fleur-de-lys is from the arms of the Courtauld family, four generations of which made their home in the parish. The chevron, commemorates the Doreward family, William Doreward in 1362 created the town's first school by endowing a chantry chaplain. In 1392 his son John added to the endowment. Another John Doreward was speaker of the House of Commons and Sheriff of Essex and Hertfordshire in 1425. He gave the town the "Maison Dieu" or hospital, now called the almshouses. The chevron also occurs in the heraldry of many others connected with the town.
Incidentally the Bocking Parish Council has the distinction of being the first such body to be granted arms. The arms were however short lived as the parish was amalgamated with the neighbouring Braintree Urban District Council in 1934.


BRAINTREE AND BOCKING URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules on a Cross quarter pierced Or two Lions rampant in pale Azure and two Fleurs-de-Lys in fess Vert.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of two Swords saltirewise hilts in base Argent enfiled by a Mural Crown Or three pierced Mullets Gules.

Motto 'HOLD TO THE TRUTH'.
Granted 21st March 1927, to the Braintree Urban District Council.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

braintree and bocking udc arms

The blue lions on gold are from the arms of William de Sancta Maria, Bishop of London, who obtained from King John a Charter for the holding of a market and fairs at Braintree. Thus Braintree developed from a village into a market town. The green fleurs-de-lys are from the arms of the Courtauld family, who established the silk-weaving industry in the town.
The crossed swords are from the arms of the See of London, the Bishops of London were Lords of the Manor of Braintree from the time of Edward the Confessor until the mid sixteenth century. The mural crown is a common symbol of civic government. The red mullets or spur-rowels are also from the crest of the Courtauld family, and are a direct reference to Mr W.J. Courtauld, a great benefactor to the town.
The motto is a translation of the Courtauld's French motto "Tiens a la verité".


BRAINTREE RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules an Eagle displayed wings inverted Or in the claws a Seax Argent hilt pommel and quillons Or in chief a Bar wavy Argent charged with another Sable.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four Ears of Wheat and as many Acorns leaved set upon a Rim Or a Mount Vert thereon a Cock statant Gold combed wattled and legged Gules charged on the breast with a representation of the Device or Mark of Thomas Paycock of Great Coggeshal Sable.

Motto 'FIDE ET FORTITUDINE' - By faith and courage.
Granted 20th December 1962.

braintree rdc arms

The district has many historical associations with the Romans, innumerable relics from that period have been discovered and two great Roman roads, namely Stane Street and Icknield Street, cross the district meeting at Marks Tey. The gold Roman eagle is therefore an apt charge, holding in its claws a seax upon a red background both from the County arms. The area is also traversed by the River Blackwater, which is alluded to by a typical heraldic pun, the black wavy bar at the top of the shield, edged with white for its tributaries.
The colours of the wreath are those of the County and of the Maxey family, who have connections with several parts of the district, and the rural coronet of wheatears and acorns represents agriculture, its ancillary industries and the natural amenities. In Great Coggeshall stands Paycocke's House, now preserved by the National Trust, it was built at the beginning of the sixteenth century by John Paycocke, as a wedding present for his son Thomas, a clothier. The Paycockes became prominent citizens of the town and contributed substantially to the fabric of the parish church. The merchant mark of the Paycockes, described variously as an ermine tail or a double-stalked clover leaf, is included in the decor of the house and is seen on the breast of the cock in the crest. The cock itself is taken from the seal of Coggeshall or (Coxhall) Abbey, founded by King Stephen and Queen Maud and granted the Manor of Coggeshall around 1140.
The motto is that of the Capels, Earls of Essex, another family prominent in the areas history.


CHELMSFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL (Former)

ARMS: Argent a Bridge of three arches proper in chief two Croziers in saltire between as many Lions rampant Azure in base two Bars wavy of the last.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure upon a Rock Proper a Crozier in pale Or surmounted by two Swords in saltire points upwards proper pommels and hilts Or interlaced by a Wreath of Oak Vert.

Motto 'MANY MINDS ONE HEART'.
Granted 6th February 1889.

Picture from Essex Borough Arms by W. Gurney Benham.

chelmsford bc arms (former)

The stone bridge recalls that built over the River Can by Morris or Maurice, Bishop of London. The croziers refer to the Bishops of London, who held the Manor of Chelmsford and the Abbots of Westminster, who held the Manor of Moulsham. The lions are from the arms of the Mildmay family, who obtained the Manor of Chelmsford at the time of the reformation and were later granted the Manor of Moulsham by Elizabeth I. The blue wavy bars represent the River Chelmer, from which the name of the town is derived.
The crozier is a further reference to the Abbots of Westminster and the crossed swords are from the arms of the See of London. The circlet of oak leaves is a symbol of civic authority. The rock appears to have no significance, and although officially part of the crest was omitted in some representations.


CHELMSFORD RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent three Bars Azure on a Chief indented Gules two Seaxes in saltire points upwards between as many Mullets of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules set upon a Garb Or a Mullet Gules.

Granted 20th December 1954.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

chelmsford rdc arms

The three blue bars on a white field are the arms of the Montchensy family, who were important in the middle ages and held land in southern Essex, particularly around the Hanningfields. The indented red chief is based on the arms of Westminster Abbey, original holders of the Dioscese of Moulsham. The seaxes are from the arms of the County Council, placed in saltire like the two swords in the arms of the Bishopric of London. The two mullets are from the heraldry of the de Vere family, the heirs of the original Earls of Essex and perhaps historically the county's most important family.
The wheatsheaf is a suitable symbol for a rural area.


CHIGWELL URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or a Stag lodged proper on a Chief Gules three Axe-heads each in bend sinister blade downwards Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Wreath of Oak a dexter Cubit Arm habited Vert the hand proper grasping a Riband Gules pendent therefrom a Bugle Horn Or [contourneé].

.Motto 'NON PROGREDI EST REGREDI' - Not to go forward is to go backward.
Granted 9th May 1951.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

chigwell udc arms

Epping Forest, represented by the stag and the oak leaves in the crest, formed a large part of the urban district's area and is closely linked with its history. The other charges are also connected with the forest and its ancient laws. In former times the chief officer of the forest was the Lord Warden, under him was the Lieutenant of the Forest, who was aided by the Master Keepers, an office commonly held in latter centuries by the lords of the forest manors. Along side these various offices was a judiciary, responsible for the administration of the forest laws, led by the Verderers of whom there is an unbroken list of names from 1250. The Verderer's court - known as the Court of Attachments or Woodmote, was held at Chigwell and after the Coroner's Court was the second oldest court in the country, it dealt with cases at once if the damage was not more than fourpence. The Verderers also presided at the Court of Swainmote, where the more serious offences were tried by a jury of freeholders of the forest. The most serious offences were tried at the court, commonly called the Justice Seat, presided over by the Chief Justice in Eyre, commonly called the Justice Seat. The Master Keeper's symbol of office was a horn, which is seen in the crest, this he was required to present on his knees at the Justice Seat after the Lieutenant had presented his baton. Today the Verderers, four in number, are members of the Epping Forest Committee of the Corporation of London, which since 1878 has administered the forest. They are elected every seven years by the Commoners, that is those with over half an acre of free land within the forest parishes. The axe-heads represent their authority.


CHINGFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert two Bars wavy Argent over all a Stag's Head caboshed proper between the attires in a Seax also proper pommelled and hilted and enfiled with a Mural Crown Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a representation of the Tower of the Old Church proper.

Motto 'ALL THINGS FOR THE GLORY OF GOD'.
Granted 26th May 1938.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Waltham Forest in 1965.

Picture thanks to Jim Openshaw.
Some colours shown incorrectly.

chingford bc arms

The blue and white fess alludes to the River Lea and the ford which gave Chingford part of its name. The mural crown is a symbol of civic government and the seax is from the arms of the County Council. The stag's head refers to the fact that Chingford was in the great Forest of Essex.
The crest shows the tower of the old parish church, a representation of which has been used on the seal of the former Urban District Council since its inception.


CLACTON URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron Azure crusilly Argent and Gules in chief two Cinquefoils of the second and in base as many Swords in saltire Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Lymphad Gules sail set proper charged with an Escallop Or Anchor of the last Pennant Azure and Flags flying from the stem and stern of the last each charged with an Escallop Gold.

Motto 'LUX SALUBRITAS FELICITAS' - Light, health, happiness.
Granted 14th April 1938.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

Clacton udc arms

The arms are based upon the unofficial device used before the arms were granted. The crosslets and cinquefoils are from the arms of the d'Arcy family of St. Osyth, who held the Manor of Great Clacton for some time after the Reformation. The crossed swords on red are from the arms of the See of London, to whom Clacton belonged from the Norman Conquest until 1545.
The ancient galley indicated Clacton's maritime importance. The scallop shells are emblems of St. James, to whom the district church at Clacton-on-Sea is dedicated and are also appropriate to a seaside resort.


DAGENHAM BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per saltire Gules and barry wavy of eight Argent and Azure in chief a Sword point downwards in pale between two Keys in saltire wards upwards Or in base three Lilies one erect and two in saltire slipped and leaved of the last and in fess two Martlets of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a rising Sun Or charged with three Cog Wheels one and two in mesh Gules.

Motto 'JUDGE US BY OUR DEEDS'.
Granted 8th July 1936, to the Dagenham Urban District Council.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham in 1965.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

dagenham bc arms

The parish church was built in the twelfth century by Barking Abbey, which owned Dagenham from the seventh century until it was dissolved in 1539, and to which the lilies, emblem of the Abbey's patron St. Mary refer. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, whose traditional emblems are the crossed keys and sword The River Thames, represented by the blue and white waves, forms the borough's southern boundary and has played an important role in its development. The growth of the area is unequalled in Britain, nowhere else has a community's population increase tenfold in as many years. Dagenham Urban District was formed in 1926 and borough status was achieved in 1938. The parish consisted of the manors of Cockermouth, Parsloes, Marks, Wangey and Valence, the last of these derived its name from the de Valence family, who lived in the parish in the late thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, and from whose arms the martlets are taken. Valence House built circa 1660 is the only surviving manor house and was used as a meeting place by the Urban District Council at the time the arms were granted, it is now a museum devoted to Dagenham's history.
The rising sun refers to Dagenham's progress and the cog wheels are a reference to industry.


GREAT DUNMOW PARISH COUNCIL
See Great Dunmow Town Council.

HALSTEAD URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL
See Halstead Town Council.

HORNCHURCH URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Saltire between three Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper and in base a Human Heart of the second a Martlet Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Church Gable proper a Bull's Head and Neck affronteé couped Or.

Motto 'A GOOD NAME ENDURETH'.
Granted 14th September 1948.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Havering in 1965.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

hornchurch udc arms

The roses are from the arms of William de Wykeham, the founder of New College, Oxford, which owns property in the district. The heart is from the arms of Bernard of Savoy, it recalls the medieval Hospice, founded in Hornchurch by Henry II, which belonged to the famous hospice of St. Bernard of Mont Joux in Savoy. The martlet is from the arms attributed to Edward the Confessor and alludes to his historical links with the district.
The crest is derived from the eighteenth century ornamental stone bulls head with copper horns built into the gable-end of the parish church. This refers to the thirteenth century record of 'Hornedechirche', (place with) the church embellished with horns, this is perhaps due to the ancient local tanning industry, the main street formerly being known as 'Pelt Street'.
The motto is from Ecclesiasticus c.41, v.13.


ILFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Ermine an Oak Tree eradicated and fructed proper surrounded by seven Crowns Or in base waves proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure issuant from a Chaplet of Oak a demi Buck supporting between the legs a Seax proper pomel and hilt Or.
SUPPORTERS: Dexter a Forester holding in the exterior hand a Bow proper sinister a Female figure habited as an Abbess and holding in the exterior hand a Book proper.

Motto 'IN UNITY PROGRESS'.
Granted 17th October 1926.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Redbridge in 1965.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

ilford bc arms

The name Ilford means 'ford across the Hyle', the River Roding at this point was once known as the Hyle or Hile, the district of Seven Kings was by tradition the meeting place of the seven Kings of the Saxon Heptachy. The ford and the kings are recalled by the waves at the base of the shield, the crowns and the ermine field. In Hainault Forest, there once stood the Fairlop Oak, under this tree from 1725 until the tree was blown down in 1820, an annual fair was held on the first Friday in July. This tree, perhaps one of Essex's most celebrated, is recalled in the arms.
Hainault Forest, which is closely connected with the history of Ilford, is again recalled by the buck, chaplet of oak and the left-hand supporter and the county by one of the seaxes from its arms.
On Ilford Hill stands the Hospital and Chapel of the Virgin Mary, it was founded circa 1145 by Adeliza, Abbess of Barking and sister of Payne Fiztjohn. She was appointed Abbess of Barking by King Stephen and died in 1173, succeeded as Abbess by Mary, sister of Thomas a Becket, she is commemorated by the right-hand supporter.
Ilford's rise from a village, which until 1888 was part of the Parish of Barking, to the status of a borough is recalled by the motto.


LEYTON BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Or three Chevronels Gules on a Chief Gules a Lion passant Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Gules a Lion rampant per pale Or and Sable supporting a Crozier Gold.

Motto 'MINISTANDO DIGNITAS' - Dignity in service.
Granted 27th October 1926.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Waltham Forest in 1965.

leyton bc arms

Leyton consisted of the manors of Marks, Ruckholt and Leyton and the arms are derived from the heraldry of the various holders of these. The Manor of Marks belonged until 1545 to the Priory of St. Helens, it was then granted to Paul Withipole and his son, whose family is recalled by the lion passant from their arms. The Church of Leyton was given by Gilbert Montfitchet to the Abbey and Convent of Stratford in 1134. The gift was confirmed by the Charter of Henry II in 1182, and later in 1200 the Manor of Leyton was also given to the Abbey. The Abbey of Stratford was founded in William Montfitchet in 1134 and the chevronels are from his family's arms. The Manor of Ruckholt was held until his death in 1417 by Sir Adam Frauncey, from whose arms comes the gold and black lion. The crozier is another reference to the Abbey of Stratford.
Although the object in the crest is blazoned as a crozier it is usually depicted as a cross-staff, such as borne before an archbishop.


MALDON BOROUGH COUNCIL
See Maldon Town Council.

ROCHFORD RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Or and Gules in the first quarter a Bull's Head caboshed Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Sable standing on a Mount Vert enfiled by an Ancient Crown Or a Cock Gules combed and wattled Gules.

Motto 'ARATE SULCO RECTE' - Plough a straight furrow.
Granted 3rd September 1954.


Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

rochford rdc arms

Rochford Hall, which has been in existence since the twelfth century, and its surrounding parkland came into the possession of the de Rochford family at this time. In 1247 Sir Guy de Rochford started holding a weekly market on a Tuesday and an annual three-day fair, this was probably the first market and fair to be held in Rochford. This market flourished until 1959, when it fell into disuse. It is from the arms of the de Rochford family, who took their name from the town, that the gold and red quarters of the arms are taken. The Manor of Rochford passed through the hands of various nobleman until it was acquired by Sir William Bullen (or Boleyn) in 1515. His son was Sir Thomas Boleyn was created Earl of Rochford and his daughter was the ill-fated Anne Boleyn. Henry VIII often hunted in the Forest of Rayleigh, which adjoined Rochford Park and it is known that he often visited Rochford Hall, as Sir Thomas Boleyn was very much in the King's favour. Anne spent much of her time at Rochford Hall, one of the three ancestral seats of the Boleyn family, and was probably here that she first met Henry. At the age of 22 she was appointed a maid of honour to Catherine of Aragon and eventually married Henry secretly in January 1533, some months before Henry's divorce from Catherine had been officially announced and it was not until later in the year that the marriage was finally made public.
Eventually the Manor of Rochford passed into the possession of Robert Riche, second Earl of Warwick. According to legend, one night in 1620 after a long absence abroad, the Earl was awakened by a cock crowing and overheard his tenants whispering a plot to murder him. As a penance he commanded all his tenants to gather annually at King's Hill in East Street on the Wednesday after Michaelmas and do homage for their lands in a whisper. This became known as the Lawless or Whispering Court and survived for 350 years until the end of the nineteenth century when preceding the Court a supper was provided at the King's Head. The Court and legend are recalled by the mound surrounded by a crown, for King's Hill, and the cock in the crest.
The motto can be interpreted both agriculturally and ethically.


ROMFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure on a Fesse wavy barry wavy of four Argent and Azure between in chief an Eagle displayed and in base a Saxon Crown Or a Ring also Gold gemmed proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure in front of a Castled Gateway of three Towers Or masoned Sable the centre tower domed Azure ensigned with a Cross Gules and the outer towers each with a Steeple Azure two Seaxes points upwards in saltire proper hilts and pomels Or.

Motto 'SERVE WITH GLADNESS'.
Granted 24th May 1938.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Havering in 1965.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

romford bc arms

The market town of Romford grew up in the middle ages where the Roman Road from London to Colchester forded the river now known as the Rom, to which the blue and white waves refer. The Roman settlement of Durolitum, represented by the gold Roman eagle, is though to have been located within the borough, however its exact location is unknown and some authorities place it further west in the Chigwell area. The Roman eagle and the ford (blue and white waves) in conjunction form a canting of punning reference to the name Romford (Roman ford), the derivation however is derived from the Old English Rum-ford 'Roomy or wide ford' and the modern name of the Rom is a back-formation. The gold ring recalls that, which according to a legend dating back to the twelfth century, Edward the Confessor gave as alms to an old beggar, while attending the consecration of a church dedicated to St. John. However it is not until later that the name Havering is connected with the legend, in a version appearing in a chronicle dated circa 1436. The beggar was St. John in disguise, and he latter returned the ring the King, with the message he should 'dispose of his goods, for within six months he shall be in the joy of heaven with me, when he shall have his reward for his chastity and good living'. The legend led to the erroneous belief that the name Havering was derived from the words 'have ring' uttered by the King, the legend gained so much credence that it is depicted in sculptures in Westminster Abbey and Ludlow Church. There is no contemporary record connecting the Confessor with Havering, but the legend strengthens the probability that he was the predecessor of Earl (later King) Harold who held the Manor of Havering. The Confessor's and the other Saxon king's links with area are recalled by the Saxon crown.
A Royal House or Palace existed at Havering-atte-Bower from the eleventh to the seventeenth centuries, and it is the gatehouse of this palace which is depicted in the crest. The design is derived from the seal of the Liberty of Havering, which was created by charter of Edward IV in 1465 and finally lost its privileges in 1892. The designed was also used on the seal of the Romford Urban District Council and was used as a trade mark by Ind Coope and Co, brewers of Romford. The seaxes recall the county.


SAFFRON WALDEN BOROUGH COUNCIL
See Saffron Walden Town Council.

THAXTED BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules two Swords in saltire Argent in chief a Rose of the last within a Fetterlock Or.

thaxted bc arms

The town's earliest charter of incorporation as far as in known dates from 1554 and Thaxted's status as a borough lasted until the reign of James II. The crossed swords on red appear to be derived from the arms of the Cutlers' Company of London. Thaxted was once famous for its wool and cutlery, which enabled it to become one of the most prosperous towns in Essex, as the size and glory of its church illustrates. The fetterlock and the white roses are Yorkist badges. The Manor of Thaxted passed by inheritance, as a portion of the Clare estates to the royal House of York. Cecelia, mother of Edward IV, was granted for life the 'Manor and Borough of Thaxted' by her son Richard III.


WALTHAM HOLY CROSS URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL
See Waltham Abbey Town Council.

WALTHAMSTOW BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Maunch Gules on a Chief Azure a Seamew volant between two Anchors Argent.
CREST: On a Mural Crown Or a Dove Azure beaked and legged Gules winged Or holding in the beak a Sprig of Oak fructed proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Stag and on the sinister side a Piebald Talbot each gorged with a Wreath of Oak all proper.

Motto 'FELLOWSHIP IS LIFE'.
Granted 6th December 1929.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Waltham Forest in 1965.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

walthamstow bc arms

The anchors and seamew are from the arms of the Monoux (or Monox) family. Sir George Monoux, a City merchant and Lord Mayor of London, was Lord of the Manor in 1514. He was a great benefactor and founded the Monoux School. There seems to be some confusion as to the nature of the bird in the chief, Burke describes it as a dove and in the arms of the Monnox (or Monnoux) family of Bedford and London it is described as a martlet. The origin of the seamew is therefore a mystery. The Monnoux chief was blue and has been changed to represent the Maynard family, who have been connected with Walthamstow since the seventeenth century. The red sleeve or maunch is from the arms of the Toni family. Ralph de Toni, Walthamstow's first Norman Lord, inherited the Manor through his wife Alice, descendent of Waltheof, who held Walthamstow at the time of Edward the Confessor. The Tonis held the manor called Walthamstow-Toni until 1309. The manor passed to the Earls of Warwick, until it was forfeited in 1471 by the death of Richard, Earl of Warwick at the Battle of Barnet. The mural crown alludes to civic government and the dove with a sprig of oak is from the crest of the Monoux family, again with an unexplained change of tincture. The stag and talbot are a further reference to the Maynards, being derived from their supporters. The supporters with their wreaths of oak can also be seen to allude to the sporting joys of the great Forest of Essex, now known as Epping Forest, part of which lies within the Borough.
The motto is from William Morris's Dream of John Bull. William Morris lived in Walthamstow and had his home for a time at Water House or Winns, in what is now Lloyd Park.


WANSTEAD AND WOODFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure a Cross flory Argent between in the first and fourth quarters a Leopard's Face and in the second and third quarters a Martlet Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Hurst of Trees proper three Fountains.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Heron proper gorged with a Saxon Crown Or.

Motto 'CONSILIO ET ANIMO' - By wisdom and courage.
Granted 6th October 1937.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Redbridge in 1965.

woodford and wanstead bc arms

The martlets and leopard's faces are derived from the arms attributed to Edward the Confessor and King Harold, who gave the manors of Wanstead and Woodford the abbeys of Westminster and Waltham respectively. The cross flory alludes further to the monastic overlordship of the manors by these two powerful abbeys.
The hurst of trees represents Epping Forest and the woods which once flourished to a greater extent hereabouts, and from which Woodford takes its name. The heraldic fountains refer to the springs and streams of the district.
The herons, which once abounded in these marshy districts of Essex, are derived from the device used by the former Wanstead Urban District Council. The Saxon Crown refers to the fact that Wanstead and Woodford were both Royal manors in Saxon times.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page