EAST RIDING COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron Argent and Or in chief two Garbs proper and in base an Eagle displayed Azure on a Chief Sable three Roses of the first barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Garb fessewise Or an Eagle displayed Azure.

Motto 'SOLIS ORTUM CONSPICERE' - To behold the sunrise.
Granted 28th February 1945.

east riding cc arms

The white roses represent Yorkshire and the wheatsheaves agriculture. The blue eagle was used as an emblem by the County Council before the arms were granted, and was probably derived from the eagle sometimes quartered in the arms of Beverley.


HALTEMPRICE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Sable a Cross patonce Argent in the first quarter a Rose of the second barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount Vert a Stag at gaze proper gorged with a Mural Crown Or.

Motto 'HAULTE EMPRISE' - High endeavour.
Granted 5th February 1952.

haltemprice udc arms

The basic black shield and cross are taken from the arms of Haltemprice Priory (dissolved and demolished by order of King Henry VIII). This foundation gave its name to the Urban District created in 1935 by the amalagamation of the Urban Districts of Hessle and Cottingham and part of the Rural District of Sculcoates. This has been differenced by the addition of a white rose, the County emblem.
The stag or hart on the mound recalls the fact that this District was originally in the Anglo-Saxon Wapontake of Harthill. The mural crown around the neck of the stag alludes to royal associations.
The motto, translated as either 'High endeavour' or 'Noble undertaking', refers to the name 'Alta Prisa' given to the Augustinian Priory built by Thomas Wake, Lord of Lyddel in 1324. 'Alta Prisa' developed into 'Haulte Emprise' and later Haltemprice.


POCKLINGTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Cross Vert an Abbot's Crosier in pale of the first between two Mitres in fesse Or over all two Swords in saltire proper embrued Gules hilts and pommels Gold on a Chief Sable a Rose of the first barbed and seed proper between two Garbs also Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Stag Argent attired and unguled Or gorged with a Collar compony Gold and Azure and supporting with the sinister foreleg an Escutcheon Sable thereon a Griffin's Head erased of the first.

Motto 'SIC NOS NON NOBIS LABORAMUS' - Thus we labour, but not for ourselves.
Granted 25th February 1958.

pocklington rdc arms

The main colours, white and green, refer to the waterways and countryside. The green cross represents two ancient British trackways, Garraby Street (York to Bridlington), and the Norton - Londesborough - Brough road which crosses it. On this cross, the abbot's crosier refers to the religious houses which played an important part in the mediaeval history of the district. It is flanked by two golden mitres, one referring to Bishop Paulinus, who is said to have converted King Edwin to Christianity at Goodmanham. The other mitre refers to the Archbishop of York, with which the district has many connections. The crossed swords with bloodstained points recall one of the most famous battles in English history, when Harold defeated Tostig and King Harold Hardrada at Stamford Bridge in 1066. The black chief, the white rose of York and the golden wheatsheaves are adapted from the East Riding County Council arms, and also provide an incidental reference to the agricultural and horticultural societies of the district. The wheatsheaves are appropriate to a rural district and they also occur in the arms used by Pocklington School.
The crest-wreath and mantling are in the liveries of the arms, green and white. The crest is a tribute to the part played by many well-known local families in the history of the district. They are represented by the holders of the two local earldoms. The white stag of the Earls of Londesborough, with a collar of the gold and blue chequers of the Cliffords, supports a black shield with a white griffin's head taken from the crest of the Earls of Halifax.
The motto contains the (Nos non nobis) of the local Wilberfoss family, from whom descended the famous philanthropist William Wilberforce who was educated at Pocklington School.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page