EAST SUSSEX COUNTY COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Gules six Martlets three two one in chief a Saxon Crown Or.

Granted 10th September 1937.

east sussex cc former arms

For details see - East Sussex County Council .


BATTLE RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Cross Gules between in the first quarter an Antique Crown of the last in the second a Sprig of Hop and in the third a Sprig of Oak both leaved and fructed proper and in the fourth a Sword erect of the second hilt and pomel Or on a Chief per pale Gules and Azure a demi Lion passant guardant Gold conjoined with the Stern of a Ship of the field.

Motto 'PER BELLUM PATRIA' - Through war, a nation.
Granted 20th April 1953.

battle rdc arms

The red cross, crown and sword are derived from the arms of Battle Abbey, the last two probably referring to William the Conqueror at whose command the Abbey was founded. The sprig of hops is indicative of that local industry and the sprig of oak with acorn represents the Weald of Sussex. The gold lion joined with a silver ship, from the arms of the Cinque Ports, alludes to the fact that present-day Winchelsea is within the Battle Rural District and also that it also borders both Rye and Hastings.


BEXHILL-ON-SEA BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Ermine a Cross double parted and fretted Gules between in the first quarter a Mitre and in the second a demi Lion passant guardant conjoined to the demi Hulk of a Ship both Or in the third an Estoile Sable and in the fourth a Mallard proper on a Chief Argent above Waves of the Sea a demi Sun in Splendour issuing from the upper part of the centre of the chief also proper all within a Bordure Azure charged with eight Martlets of the third.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Mound of Sand a Martello Tower proper.

Motto 'SOL ET SALUBRITAS' - Sun and health.
Granted 21st January 1907.

bexhill-on-sea bc arms

The martlets are taken from the arms of the East Sussex CC and the mitre denotes the See of Chichester, which held the Manor of Bexhill from the time of the Conquest until the reign of Henry VIII, when it passed to Lord Buckhurst, ancestor of the present holder, Earl De La Warr, from whose crest the black star is taken. The gold lion joined to the stern of a silver ship, from the arms of the Cinque Ports, refers to the Liberty of the Sluice, a hamlet of Bexhill and a minor limb of Hastings. The mallard is from the arms of the first Earl Brassey, Mayor of Bexhill 1907-8, Warden of the Cinque Ports 1908-13, and who presented to the Corporation a mayoral chain of office. The sun and sea stand for Bexhill's character as a health resort.
The crest shows one of the many towers built along this coast in preparation for Napoleon's expected invasion.


BRIGHTON BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent, two dolphins naiant sable, a bordure azure charged with six martlets Or.
CREST: On a wreath of the colours, Two dolphins in saltire, heads downwards, sable between as many branches of coral gules.

Motto 'IN DEO FIDEMUS' - We trust in God.
Granted 14th April 1897, to the Brighton County Borough Council.

brighton bc arms

The two dolphins have a lengthy history in Brighton, but their exact origin is not known. The commissioners of Brighton, who were the local governing body in the first half of the 19th Century, used two dolphins as their seal. Around 1800 the two leading families were Scrase and Lashmar. The Scrase family were represented amongst the commissioners and associated with the Manor of Brighton. One of the Lashmar's family members was the High Constable in 1799. Both of these families had dolphins on their family coat of arms. It is not clear whether the dolphins were added because of the town's proximity to the sea or because of the strong influence of these two families, either way dolphins are appropriate to a town which has always depended upon the sea for its prosperity, originally a fishing village and now as a famous seaside resort. The martlets are from the arms of Sussex.
The crest repeats the two dolphins, together with two branches of coral, a reference to the sea and the local climate.


HOVE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron the chief per pale Or and Gules on the dexter a Saltire Azure surmounted by another Argent and on the sinister two Pairs of Leg-Irons one chevronwise the other reversed and interlaced of the first the base chequy Azure and Or three Martlets one and two of the last all within a Bordure Ermine charged with six Martlets also Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount of Shingle an Ancient Ship proper with the sail displayed Azure semee of Cross Crosslets Or and on a Banner Gules flying from the masthead to the dexter a Martlet as in the Arms.

Motto 'FLOREAT HOVA' - May Hove flourish.
Granted 16th December 1899.

hove bc arms

The emblems denote that Hove, when it received its Boyal Charter, was composed of the parishes of Hove and Aldrington and is situated in the Rape of Lewes in the County of Sussex. The original Parish Church of Hove was dedicated to St. Andrew and the first quarter of the shield shows St. Andrew's cross on a field of gold. The second shows prisoners' shackles on a red field. St. Leonard is the Patron Saint of all prisoners, captives and slaves and also of the Parish Church of Aldrington. The gold and blue checkered base of the shield is taken from the arms of the de Warrene family and here represents the Rape of Lewes. The three martlets thereon are from the device used by the Town before it obtained arms. The six martlets are charged on the ermine bordure, being emblems of Sussex.
The ship, which is ashore on a shingle beach, represents a 16th century French galley and commemorates French attacks on the coast of Hove.
The motto was previously used by the Hove Commissioners when they commenced their duties in 1873.


UCKFIELD RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Field in base Vert an Oak Tree fructed and leaved proper between two Martlets respectant in fesse Azure all within a Bordure gobony of the first and last.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount Vert a Boar rampant Sable armed and unguled Or supporting a Cresset fired proper.

Motto 'LIKE AS THE OAK'.
Granted 30th January 1948.

uckfield rdc arms

The oak tree represents Ashdown Forest, and depicted growing out of a green field, plays on the name of Uckfield (an old spelling is Okkefeld), which suggests an oak in a field. The field is also intended to typify the district's agricultural activities. The two blue martlets represent the County of Sussex, and the blue and sil­ver border, of the Lancastrian colours, represents John of Gaunt's association with Ashdown Forest, which was once known as Lancaster Great Park.
The boar or hog is a rebus of Ralph Hogge, the ironmaster of Buxted, who cast the first iron cannon in this country. The black boar stands erect against a blazing beacon, which represents Crowborough Beacon, the highest point of the District, where the Council Offices were stuated.
The motto is from the opening words of a poem on Samuel Pepys, by Rudyard Kipling, once a resident of Crowborough. The first stanza of the poem reads: Like as the Oak, whose roots descend. Through earth and stillness seeking food, Most apt to furnish in the end That dense, indomitable wood.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page